Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Disc Pads to buy??

Jock

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have to get some new front disc pads for my VpCommodore wagon. I reckon it is time to learn how to do it myself. I have a manual, space and everything that is required except the pads and any useful hints. The wagon has 192,000 kms on it but i'm not sure when the rotors were last replaced.
Hope someone can give me some tips.
Cheers
Jock

H

HATER VP

You will need to messure the width of the disc. Do the front brakes pulsate?
I Use and reccomend Ferodo Excel pads.
Make sure the wire springs are in correctly when putting the new pads in.
Take you time taking it apart, so you know how to put it back together.

Jock

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.
The brakes don't pulsate at all. Can I use a standard digital caliper to measure the thickness of the disks?

H

HATER VP

mm not really. When the disc wears it leaves a lip at the top. If yours has cut outs in it then you can use it but if its straight, then tou shouldnt

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
hmm yes, Me thinks I should do mine....;) today even lol

D.

Jock

Reaction score
Do you have to replace the pivot bolts like the manual says or do you just put some loctite or something similar on the bolts?
Cheers
Jock

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
i use the ferodo pads aswell, they work great!!
i just undid one caliper bolt, loosened the other and rotated the caliper out, then the old pads fall out, take your reservoir cap off and use a clamp to push the caliper piston in (might have to take some fluid out to stop it overflowing everywhere)
slot new pads in, put caliper back on over disc, tighten up and bam your done

H

HATER VP

You dont need to replace the pivot bolts. Use the manual as a guide only. Any book other then the genuine holden books are crap. Grease your slides as well.

Jock

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far. Have pulled the pads from one side to check and there appears to be quite a bit of pad material still available. The pads have a groove down the middle and the grove is still a couple of mm deep. I did notice that the brake fluid was about halfway between max and min. Perhaps that is the reason for the reduced braking??
Anyway what are the visible signs that the pads are worn out? or should I just top up the fluid and see how that goes.
Cheers
Jock

H

HATER VP

Usually replace them if the pad metirial is the same width as the plate. As the pad wears from there it starts to get into the glue that bonds it to the plate.
Check all 4 pads for uneven wear.