Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which engine?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
**double post**

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
15mm socket on a bar to pull the tensioner down. And either take a picture or draw the belt config on the pulleys. It can go on two ways, they both look right, but one way the belt is really loose.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Well, I was driving down the freeway yesterday and went to go overtake a truck, half way passing it, my car felt like the engine was about to seize up and made this squeeling sound then crunching ect. But still runs, I am almkst certain it is some sort of bearing

If it's making that much noise and it's a bearing inside the engine your gonna have metal fiings in the oi for sure so drain the oil and see if any metal filings come out. Did you take off the serpentine belt yet and check the aircon compressor, alternator and water pump?

Dillbo Baggins

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn commodore manual
Well, I drained the oil and replaced the filter. There was abit a metal filings in there (used a magnet in the container) but it was only a little bit, is this something to be concerned about? I know its probably not good, but how bad is it? I cant seem to get the belt off, my tensioner pulley has this bracket like thing holding it in place and there doesn't seem to be a bolt which loosens it. Ill try again tomorrow, could I just take the tesioner pulley off all together or is it advised I dont? Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You don't need to remove any bolts or pulleys.
Doing so with the belt on there and tensioned could end badly for you and the car.
Place the tool on the bolt that holds the tensioner pully to the spring loaded tensioner so it is pointing up, move around to the drivers side guard, pull towards you, hold it there and slip the belt off the water pump, slowly release pressure on the tensioner.

Any metal that sticks to a magnet is bad, majority of the metal use in engine bearings is non-ferrous so it won't stick to a magnet.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Ok so ive read alot of forums on the removal of the gear/balance shaft, but theres no pictures ect on how to do it, and they all say that when you disbale the balance shaft, to put a double timing chain in it? I have no idea why, could I just take the gear off and leave it like that? Or is this gear crucial to timing, hence the new timing chain? Cheers

here is mine with it removed. see the bottom hole behind the large sprocket? thats where the balance shaft was, just removed the retainer and pulled it out as I couldn't be bothered replacing the rear bearing. was a little noisy only 100k on this engine.

IMG_1021_zps786a44ca.jpg

not much room for dual row chain, I just stuck to single row roll master.

IMG_1039_zpscda947c4.jpg

Dillbo Baggins

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn commodore manual
With my tensioner pulley, it isnt spring loaded and there isn't a way to release the tension. Its held on by a braket and I cant figure out how to take it off without causing damage. And with the metal filings in the oil, is the sump plug magnetic? I thought they all were but no metal was stuck yo that when I took it out, so I got a magnet and ran it through the oil and there was abit the stuck on. Is there a way to post photos on my phone or do I have to use the computer? Ill show use the tensioner pulley

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
use a long 18mm ring spanner and put it on the tensioned bolt and turn it anti-clock wise. The bolt is reverse thread so it won't undo but will allow to lift the tension back using the spanner as a leaver.

there shouldn't be metal in the oil, sorry to say your engine is likely damaged and be best to replace it with a good used unit. Would be worth opening it up and having a look at the damage anyway.

Is the engine making a knocking noise when it runs?

The drain plugs are non magnetic.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I was driving down the freeway yesterday and went to go overtake a truck, half way passing it, my car felt like the engine was about to seize up and made this squeeling sound then crunching ect. But still runs, I am almkst certain it is some sort of bearing

that is interesting, could be almost anything but i seen one v6 do the same thing, horrible squeal and crunchy sound loss of power too. turned out to be a lifter that turned sideways.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It is spring loaded, they all are. You are either pulling the wrong one, or you are going the wrong way. The tensioner is the one at the top to the left as you look at it from the front. Put a spanner or socket on the bolt that holds the pulley, pull it towards the drivers side, it will go up and release tension on the belt.

VN%20Waterpump%20008.jpg