Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Fuse

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commordore Executive Wagon
Hello All,

Can someone please let me know which fuse needs to be changed when the automatic transmission's gear position light, the SRS and the fob activated headlights on no longer work. Fob activated headlights on is when it is dark and and while you are unlocking the car with the key fob - if the correct mode has been programmed your headlights turn on as well.

I could not find a fuse that mentions gearshift selector light/SRS or key fob headlight illumination. I know that this happened once before and a new fuse solved the issue. I did check all the 7.5 to 20 amp fuses under the dash - however I could not find any obviously blown fuses. Then again my eyes are buggered too. A hint of where to narrow down the search would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Lionel

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
looks like fuse 11 7.5a is prndl illumination
i dont think a fuse is your issue

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello Lout,

Thank you for the reply. Yep, you are right. I replaced the fuse - just to see what happened. The same fault came up.

The car starts fine. Then after a couple of seconds it plays a melody and roughly shown below...

SRS warning light to the left of the row lights up and stays on. On the multi-mode display - the same display that shows the odometer and distance to empty .. it shows a graphic of an airbag and below that ...

SRS Airbag Fault

PRND321

It could be the cause of the fault or it could have been purely coincidental ...

I had parked the VY in my shed and the car was still switched to accessories.
I picked up the new adjustable angle welding magnet from the passenger seat and while I was looking at the angle marks and it rested against the steering wheel centre. So it was a pretty strong magnet against the steering wheel airbag cover while the ignition was on.

Was this coincidence or the cause of the fault? The singing stops and the warning goes away after I press the 'mode' button. It would be good to get the problem fixed though! It is a really - really annoyingly crap tune!

Kind regards
Lionel

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
the magnet would create an inductive voltage on the airbag coil
get a scan tool and clear the code and see what happens

Reactions: Lex

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
the magnet would create an inductive voltage on the airbag coil
get a scan tool and clear the code and see what happens
Hello Lout,

Any recommendations on what make and model of scan tool? Otherwise it is off to the local friendly auto sparky I go. Kind regards Lionel

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello Lout,

Any recommendations on what make and model of scan tool? Otherwise it is off to the local friendly auto sparky I go. Kind regards Lionel
Hello Lout,

That line of PRND321 could explain why the lights for the auto's gear shift selector does not come on any more too. The fact that the auto headlight function when the unlock key fob button is pressed must be on the same circuit. A couple of months ago while in a hurry to get my trailer ready to loan to a friend I caused a fuse to blow and it caused exactly the same error codes and lack of lights to the gear shift selector and the unlock auto headlights function plus the irritating melody and error graphic. That is why I hoped it was just a fuse.

Thank you for your help, Lout, Much appreciated.

Kind regards
Lionel

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers - Lout
G'day Lout,

With silly season in full power it took until today before I could drop in on my mechanic. As per your suggestion he hooked up a scan reader. It came up with 3 airbag faults and about 7 other electrical system faults

After the welder's magnet was accidentally held too close to the steering wheel's air bag the following faults come to light - well lack thereof:
  • No gear selector light,
  • no answer to the automatic on and off via the key fob
  • no ability to keep the headlights on full beam.
  • Plus a highly annoying 'beep, beep , beep and the graphic on the instrument cluster of an inflating airbag and the gear position letters under the airbag image.

The mechanic cleared all the fault codes and ....

They all stayed cleared - thank Christ!

So everything is back fully functioning again. No annoying beeps on start up. I reckon it was exceptionally clever of an electrical engineer to design a circuit where a fault in the airbag would wipe out the ability to select high beam. Up there for thinking and down there for dancing.

Well everyone - learn from my accidental mistake. Keep welder's magnets well away from your steering wheel! This is regardless of how pretty the welding magnets look and how nice they feel in your hands. Take them out of your car before admiring them.

Thank you again Lout for sharing your sage advice. I greatly appreciate it.

What I find hard to believe is that my wagon turns 20 years of age this October!

Kind regards
Lionel