Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which gearbox oil for t5?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
just need to know some suggestions of brands and blends for oil for a v8 t5 box. it's bone dry right now, but i'd rather fill it with something that has the additives or good stuff already in it, rather than adding myself.

Last edited:

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
transmission fluid eg DEX III

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I have used DEX 3 and a penrite T5 friction additive, and i have also used Castrol gear oil (i forget the viscosity now..) both work the same for me. The DEX 3 combo was just a little noisier

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
cool, thanks for the suggestions, i read one time that on autos if they get too hot the fluid can make a glaze on components, is there any issue with this running a Dex 3 oil in a manual (ie with no trans cooler)?

otherwise dex3 it is

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I use "redline shockproof lightweight" in my r33 box.

it's a synthetic oil that gives you all the nice cold shift action without waiting for the oil to heat up - and i found it made a big difference in being able to smash it from gear to gear, without waiting for the synchros to catch up. It's also put up with an awful lot of abuse and no component failures yet. (I don't know if this is because of the oil or the box design :p)

I do know that on the redline website it says that it's "not recommended" for synchro boxes, but a lot of the skyline guys seem to run it without a hitch. - I think you can get a 'superlight' incarnation of it that is 'safe' to use on synchro'd gearboxes.

my mate runs the superlight in his 350z box and it no longer sticks when cold.

as far as lubrication goes, and shock loads on gears etc - I know a lot of the drift guys run and swear by the lighweight shockproof (aka smurfs blood) in their cars, which see a LOT of gearbox abuse in the form of clutch dumps etc.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Dextron was recommended by Holden but I was advised to use Valvoline 70-80 gear oil by the gearbox reco guy that rebuilt my box. Dextron is too thin and cooks the synchro's according to him.

Reaper

Denso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss commodore
lol, i use 80w90 and dex 3 together. it works well i rekon.