Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which LSx or Lxx motor?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
after going over redbook looking all the weights, ive found out the largest ci I can have is actually 423ci. Not sure if this slight increase helps me much, but sad to see im 4 cubes short of an LS7.

Throw a sub or 2 in and you will be fine :thumbsup:

troytroy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
YII Clubsport R8
Wow, there's a lot of skewed 'facts' in this thread!

Variables - Best power option - stroke/cam an LS3 = to 408+ ci = BLOODY expensive!!
And honestly why the hell would you even concern yourself about 411ci or 423 or 427ci capacity? Unless you're ripping out the engine - no one can tell! so don't get wrapped around the axles on that one. If this is a drag car - lucky because it will chew fuel like a demon, that's what strokers are famous for (and making bulk torque)

Stroking an LS1 is not really an economical or reliable option - once the bore liners are removed and the block re-bored - the core is likely to shift and you'll get ovular bores....98% of workshops wouldn't even bother doing it. The later L98 and LS2, LS3 are better for stroking, but funnily enough cost twice(+) as much as an LS1. Getting 380rwkw out of an LS1 - you're wasting your time and money - because within the limitations you have it's not possible whilst remaining legal and Reliable...again assuming you can't go forced induction. (NOS would be a good idea - but wont win any fans from the Police....)

Unfortunately stroking and all the other costs like big fuel systems etc will be 15-20k+++
So if your budget is 10k - only forced induction will be able to get you there and because you've discounted that for legality reasons (legailty?? - honestly pretty well everything about the whole engine and the exhaust you put on it wont be legal anyway - An engineer can sign off on alot of stuff (costs $$$ too) but your twin three inch exhaust with high flow cats will never ever be legal for sound, nor will it pass any emissions test....ever.

So really you have three options :

1. You make a drag car that's not ever going to see the street - CHEAPER way to make power - because you're not limited to "silly rules' and it's safer for your license and hip pocket. (hell, just add a massive cam to a crate L98, crap load of NOS - cheap - thanks for coming. Or adding twin turbos to an LS1 etc.

2. You get most of the car engineered, but can't get other bits certified - it will be illegal though and you just run the risk and play russian roulette with the police and in this case it will be the equivalent of having 6 bullets in the magazine with one or two spare. And also for a street car it will be terrible and you wouldn't even bother driving if you could afford to keep fuelling it and feeding it tyres.

3. You try to stick to the compromises between legality, power and 1/4 mile time and spend an absolute truckload of money to achieve it. maybe?

I'm surprised no one said the obvious - 380rwkw? who cares - remove 100-200+kg from the car and you wont need so much power! Stripping it out for drag times ...then you have legal problems again though......

Overall, doom and gloom aside - the compromises you have made on yourself have made it close to impossible. And also your budget needs to be sorted out.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thanks for the lengthy post, havent replied sooner as i dont get on here much anymore. Ill try and respond to everything you said, but theres alot there so if i miss anything let me know.

Keeping the 'ci' under the max legal size of 423ci was mainly for my own peace of mind, as i wouldve liked it to be 100% legit and legal. I know you can be defected ect for almost ANYTHING done to a car but still, i hope you see what im getting at.

Ive 99% decided on an LS3, work done to it will be decided at a later date. Basically i hope to get the standard motor in the car and running, and do the stroker/motor build at a later date once i am happy with the way the car is running/worked out all the kinks and im used to it.

Id like to keep the car registered so id likely go with option 2 or 3 out of you list there. Also i understand that my predicted power figure isnt the absolute minimum needed to run quick times, but theres not much i can do to the car to bring weight down without making it a complete rolling defect station.(more so than what it will be when done).

I checked over my posts again, and i dont remember ever mentioning a budget of $10K?... Ball park figure im expecting the build to be around triple that.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
rb26 or 2jz or work the rb30.rb30 with a full forged set a 25 heads will a lot of boost will do 380rwkw very easy

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ive looked into a worked RB30 and the end cost was ball park figure the same as a stroked LS3. And every man and his dog has a boosted 6 in a VL, so for the same money id rather do somthing that will sound mental and be alot rarer. Plus i hate JZ's.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
well i guess getting a ls3 and big cam, heads, pistons, crank full rebuild but keeping in 6.2 is a better option

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
Could just go all out and get some 350ci rocker covers made up and stick a 632ci or something in it.....
800hp, $30k.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Could just go all out and get some 350ci rocker covers made up and stick a 632ci or something in it.....
800hp, $30k.

i dont no why any one would stick a old heavy big block in a car, lsx they way to go for big cube