Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which V8? 5L or 5.7? For a daily

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
HEy all,
Been out of the commo world for quite a while. But looking at coming back to find myself a daily.

Currently thinking v8 wagons (which are horrible hard to find in a acceptable condition/price), failing that possibley statesman's.

Anyway...

I am looking at VS to VX era cars. Some are the 5ltr, others are the 5.7.

I have done a little bit of reading but looking for some more facts,

In general I have read the 5.7L is more powerful and more economical.

But have heard nothing in terms of relability compared to the 5l? And they came out with piston slap and could possibly chew oil and apparently this is normal?

I am not looking for big power, just want a daily v8 with a nice note and im sure either will provide that.

Just wondering if its worth spending the extra $$$ on a 5.7 over the 5.

Also, if i found a 5L with a gas system, is there a easy way to tell if its injected or carby?

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Sound wise it all comes down to taste. I am yet to hear a 5.7L that sounds anywhere near as good as the 5L.

Of the models you have picked I'd be going VS or VX. The VT had quite a few lemons with the 5.7L motor. But yes the 5.7 has a lot more power and is much cheaper to mod for bigger gains. As for fuel well, they all vary. I get 7-8L/100km highway and around 12-15L/100km city in the clubby which isn't too bad imo.

Sigh gas systems do not belong in a V8 end of story. Never got the whole I want a V8 but I'm going to put it on gas cause its cheaper.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Why are you against gas on a v8? A buddy had a xr8 EL with gas and of went great. Saved him a boat load of $$$ on petrol and went just as good on gas. It was a gas injected system.

Don't the Holden 8's like it?

Sound wise I don't think I'd care as I am yet to find a v8 I don't like the sound of ;)

The fuel figures you have posted up are more then livable for me, if they all do around that, Id be happy! Not much different too any other large sedan

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Had my VS SS ute on it and the partners VR exec on it and found that it barely saved me any money at all and definitely lost power on both. However that is just the VS models of course but I am yet to really hear anything different on the later models.

Mind if I ask how much you are looking at spending?

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Honestly looking at spending around 5-6k

Do you think its a reasonable budget for what I'm looking for?

Would settle for anything clean really, pref is to wagons or statos, but would go anything but a exec

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I think it really depends how well the gas system is tuned and etc.
There's gas systems out there that are better than using petrol. perfomance and economy gains.

My parents use to say the same thing about why get a v8 if it's on gas, why not? why put gas on any car? to save money.. everybody wants to save as much money as they can.. so what's wrong with v8 having gas? It would honestly be like saying.. Why get a v6, and putting gas on it when you can get a 4 cylinder... and it'll save money.
What's better than saving money and having a rumble of a v8? exactly.
I personally don't like gas systems, simply because I like simplicity. rather have a clean engine bay then extra hoses.

That's my 2 cents about the whole gas..

If the 5.7 is better for perfomance and economy? why not, plus you get more bragging rights. :p
I'd be happy with any V8 personally. aha.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
6k would pick you up a decent VS SS or possibly stato. Wagons are a little harder to find with a V8.

Um 5-6k is a good starting point. Hell I picked up my clubby for 7k from the auctions. I have even seen a few on carsales from around 6.5k on the rare occasion.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Glad my price point is not too bad, I am a pretty fussy buyer, lots of people stating immaculate when they clearly are not!

Goals for the car is to be a substitute to my pride and joy, keeping that at home while i do the shopping, take out the dirtbikes to the push and general chores.

Was thinking a ute, but would always like the idea of backseats to cart people around if need be.

totally agree about the gas system making the engine bay look ugly though :p

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you fellas see any decent buys in Vic, forward me the add ;)

Looking but nothing really strikes the eye for the price point.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Keep your eye out on carsales, egay and gumtree. I'm sure something will come up. But yes there isnt many immaculate ones out there but it is usually the interiors that suffer the worst. You could always look at it as a project.

I'm more of a ute person myself and I'd prefer not to have to cart people around :p Plus they are all sorts of handy.