Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

• Harrop

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Orrsom

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • VCM

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Vinnie is the vcm infill panel made of the same type of plastic as the Otr? Did you use the metal spacer provided so the infill is not squashed by the bolt?

Hey Mike, yes pretty sure it's the same plastic as otr and looks quite similar to the infill plastic used by Harrop. I believe the shop did use metal spacer but will need to check next time I'm under the bonnet.

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Ron,
Re: the criteria for ‘Airflow/ performance’, my limited experience with less restrictive filters and motorbike tunes, combined with amateur enthusiast research tells me that if I’m looking for best bang for buck performance improvement in the LS3 without significant bolt-on changes, the value is in the tune (tuned for 98 octane or flex fuel if available).

There’s some pretty interesting threads/ comparisons/ methodical research on the SS Forums about CAI’s. Not specifically for OTR CAI’s that I’ve come across yet, but principles will be similar (and relative) I assume.
Needless to say, manufacturer claims of HP increases by bolting on a CAI alone are difficult to substantiate and often don’t eventuate by those who test the claims.
Those who notice seat-of-the-pants improvements from bolting on a CAI, that are ACTUALLY airflow performance improvements and not largely just placebo aural improvements, have also had a tune done... which represents the bulk of the measurable performance improvement.

I’m happy to be corrected by those who know much more than I do, but I get the impression that the stock intake on the LS3 Redline breathes very well for everyday use + some.
Additionally, the upsides of changing the air intake come with downsides that may negatively impact performance, which you’d want to be aware of and comfortable with.

That being the case, if value for money is a criteria, a CAI is better suited as a precursor to further bolt-on upgrades like cam, exhaust, forced induction. Or if you just like the look and sound of one (which still tempts me TBH). :)

Can anyone add to that? I’m keen to learn what I don’t know.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron,
Re: the criteria for ‘Airflow/ performance’, my limited experience with less restrictive filters and motorbike tunes, combined with amateur enthusiast research tells me that if I’m looking for best bang for buck performance improvement in the LS3 without significant bolt-on changes, the value is in the tune (tuned for 98 octane or flex fuel if available).

There’s some pretty interesting threads/ comparisons/ methodical research on the SS Forums about CAI’s. Not specifically for OTR CAI’s that I’ve come across yet, but principles will be similar (and relative) I assume.
Needless to say, manufacturer claims of HP increases by bolting on a CAI alone are difficult to substantiate and often don’t eventuate by those who test the claims.
Those who notice seat-of-the-pants improvements from bolting on a CAI, that are ACTUALLY airflow performance improvements and not largely just placebo aural improvements, have also had a tune done... which represents the bulk of the measurable performance improvement.

I’m happy to be corrected by those who know much more than I do, but I get the impression that the stock intake on the LS3 Redline breathes very well for everyday use + some.
Additionally, the upsides of changing the air intake come with downsides that may negatively impact performance, which you’d want to be aware of and comfortable with.

That being the case, if value for money is a criteria, a CAI is better suited as a precursor to further bolt-on upgrades like cam, exhaust, forced induction. Or if you just like the look and sound of one (which still tempts me TBH). :)

Can anyone add to that? I’m keen to learn what I don’t know.

Totally agree. Tune is a must for any real and noticable gain. I am just deciding which cai to use with the tune

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What power gain is expected on Ls3 with otr cai and tune ? Is 50kw realistic ?

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Steve at oztrack quoted me 30rwkw. Car runs well. Plenty of before and after posts in various threads on here

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Did not come across this one before