Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whinges about work...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
HA Yeah first part of post wasnt joke but yeah the sabotage bit was, i didnt even think i rote that...

Hehehe well you are 1/2 right.

Yeah i would just work as hard as u can n ask ur boss what area'a they think u could improve in....

If they dont give you a good talk on how u could improve, it would seem they dont want improvment n that they are happy with how u work atm, good for them but not for you if u are look for a promo

Huh??? Speak english boy - english!

Sorry bout the stupid post sabotage wasnt a good choice of wording

Learning some grammer and spelling at least most of the words in a paragraph correctly would go a long way to improving your prospects.

Reaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
We are all overworked and underpaid. Fact of life - get used to it!

As I posted in an un-employment thread. The *ONLY* person responsible for your predicament is you. So you missed out on some promotion - you can take your attitude that it's favoritism or on the other hand, maybe that guy is able to do something that you can't.

Even if he is late every day, he might have some skill that outranks his tardiness. Yep he is 15 min late each day but manages to put out in his 7.75 hours (or whatever) what a normal guy takes 15 hours to do. That could be one example.

I'd take the attiude - I missed out this time, lets see what could have caused it. I wouldn't bother asking (you probably won't get a complete answer anyway), just observe - what do my co-workers/managers/everybody do that is better than me? When you see something just try and work on one thing at a time.

An example might be how the guy talks to people. Some people are instantly engaging and seem to get along with everybody whilst others struggle to get along with their own cat. Just observe how this person acts when they are near - It could be as simple as a broad smile and a confident "hi - how are you?" when they meet somebody or it could be deeper. Just work on 1 thing at a time and you will be suprised at how quickly things change. I wound up managing a factory of 35 guys when I was 22 yo by taking this attitude.

Also remember - some jobs are just not for you. Imagine you are an apple in a bowl of fruit. You might be the best looking/tasting apple ever grown but if somebody wants an orange, you are just not going to get the gig. No big deal - somebody who wants an apple will come along eventually. In the mean time, try and learn from the experience and keep a positive attitude.

Oh - don't stress about how much you are paid relative to your co-workers. I started at 19 paid a ton less than everybody else in the place. I knew it at the time but didn't pay it much attention. Now I'm paid around 3x what everybody else here earns. I don't worry what the next guy gets - that means I'd have to take too much of a pay cut to make it equal :D

Reaper

ive actually had a big go at the foreman for that and he says the reason im not payed well is because im not religious, not married adn that i live at home ( the owner of the place is a brethren) after i had a go at the foreman he gave me a payrise, a job promotion and treats me alot better then before, im on 11 bucks an hour now, hoping to get my forklift and maybe loader ticket at the end of the year and go to work at tuan sawmill for alot better money. its kinda scary how rorted the system is now within the timber industry i must say most people are being absolutely RIPPED off enourmously, id love too see working at a sawmill become an actual trade with decent money at the end of it, but what goes around comes around. for now im feelin a little better butwell just see what happens.

id like too hear about any probs anyone else has had with employers, etc here.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I had big issues with an employer (all will remain anonymous).

Basically i was employed with 11 others as non union labour in a highly unionised workforce. Pay was better than union workers and we were given all the assurances in the world that there will not be any problems in the workplace.

Anyway, when the **** hit the fan, the company went running.

I put up with it for 6 months, telling the company on numerous occasions what was going on. Got heaps of promises but it amounted to nothing.

One day, I walked in with a completed resignation form, chucked it on the senior engineers desk, said 'you lot can all go get f*****' and walked out.

Two weeks later started work with another company.

The best bit was, 10 of the others followed my lead, leaving the site seriously understaffed for months. hehehehe

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ive actually had a big go at the foreman for that and he says the reason im not payed well is because im not religious, not married adn that i live at home ( the owner of the place is a brethren) after i had a go at the foreman he gave me a payrise, a job promotion and treats me alot better then before, im on 11 bucks an hour now, hoping to get my forklift and maybe loader ticket at the end of the year and go to work at tuan sawmill for alot better money. its kinda scary how rorted the system is now within the timber industry i must say most people are being absolutely RIPPED off enourmously, id love too see working at a sawmill become an actual trade with decent money at the end of it, but what goes around comes around. for now im feelin a little better butwell just see what happens.

The timber industry is a very difficult place to be right now. The wholesale price for most timber used in the building industry is around about 60% of what it was 2 years ago. This means that the primary producers, saw mills and wholesalers are all on the bones of their ass's right now and big pay rises are going to be difficult to come by.

If you are not religous enough then maybe finding another employer would be a better long term strategy - only you can make that call. Good luck with your future.

Reaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
thanks mate, i know timber has lost alot of value in the last few years. im only working there until i find an apprenticeship, which unfortunately are few and far between in my area.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

LMFAO, i worked for a company where it was run by family who were all in a cult, because i lived with my GF unmarried and openly admitted to having sweet kickass sex for the hell of it i was discriminated against. People who were god botherers got promoted etc, i just plugged along doing my job. In the end i found a better job, then threatened to flatten the owner after he started telling me i was sinning. I told him to get ****ed and that i was putting in notice, 1 hr later i had my holiday paid out and had 2 weeks off with pay. After i left i contacted various workcover agencies informing them of the dangerous workplace...its a legit way to piss off your ex employer :p

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
LOL class act minux. Love it.

I should have done the same with my employer when I was an apprentice. Especially since they really were a dangerous workplace. They had really stupid habits like removing guards from the machines "because they slow you down"... dodgy stuff like that. Another apprentice there, a third year, was already missing one third of the middle finger on his right hand as a result of a guard being removed.

To think that I got abused for putting the guards back on the machines before I used them! :bang:

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Employer/Employee

The major problem between employers and employees is many times each do not take the time to look at problems from the other person's perspective. Sometimes petty jealousy gets in the way and we humans are are natural complainers. Unfortunately, the complainers are usually the ones with the loudest mouths, and they discourage other conscientious colleagues.

I have found if you give employees a lot of leeway, they end up giving back more than when you try to control them. 9 times out of 10, the people who come in late, with no reprimand, are the ones that will work late, if necessary, to get the job done. We are not all built to be punctual. Besides, I would rather have happy workers than sullen complainers. If I have to keep looking over someone shoulders for them to do their work, maybe they need to go into politics.

The other fact is a boss is fallable and may not see the things the way you do. Many times people pass the buck. If things are bad, you need to do what you can to make the workplace better. After all, you spend more waking time at work, than with your family. Of course the bottom line is if you see things that you cannot change at work that stresses you out...it may just be time to move on.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
LOL class act minux. Love it.

I should have done the same with my employer when I was an apprentice. Especially since they really were a dangerous workplace. They had really stupid habits like removing guards from the machines "because they slow you down"... dodgy stuff like that. Another apprentice there, a third year, was already missing one third of the middle finger on his right hand as a result of a guard being removed.

To think that I got abused for putting the guards back on the machines before I used them! :bang:

Dang, lemme guess, their favourite catchphrase was something along the lines of "work smarter, not harder!", smarter of course meaning "put yourself at as much risk as possible to ensure we come out looking good, but don't **** yourself up because that would cause us an inconvenience".

In some respects I can sympathise with Reaper's point of view, having to deal with repropate employees with no respect for their employer, but the opposite situation also exists, whereby some employers have absolutely no respect for their employees, with their beady little eyes focused firmly on the bottom line no matter the human cost.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The major problem between employers and employees is many times each do not take the time to look at problems from the other person's perspective. Sometimes petty jealousy gets in the way and we humans are are natural complainers. Unfortunately, the complainers are usually the ones with the loudest mouths, and they discourage other conscientious colleagues.

I have found if you give employees a lot of leeway, they end up giving back more than when you try to control them. 9 times out of 10, the people who come in late, with no reprimand, are the ones that will work late, if necessary, to get the job done. We are not all built to be punctual. Besides, I would rather have happy workers than sullen complainers. If I have to keep looking over someone shoulders for them to do their work, maybe they need to go into politics.

The other fact is a boss is fallable and may not see the things the way you do. Many times people pass the buck. If things are bad, you need to do what you can to make the workplace better. After all, you spend more waking time at work, than with your family. Of course the bottom line is if you see things that you cannot change at work that stresses you out...it may just be time to move on.

A damn good post. I work as a casual for a business that follows a similar policy to what you've outlined. I quite often arrive at work a few minutes later than agreed due to various factors, but the boss doesn't mind because I turn up without fail roughly on time and am always willing to make up that time if there's a few extra things to be done at the end of the day. It's an arrangement that works well for everyone and sure as hell works better than if they were constantly berating me for rocking up @ five past every now and then.