Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whinning Noise

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
There is other areas of the circuit board that have ground tracks, but they wouldn't blow from an RCA fault, they'd only blow if there was other problems.

I haven't paid to have the problem fixed, i actually fix the problem.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
translation: stone repairs pioneer HUs for a living

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
StoneX said:
There is other areas of the circuit board that have ground tracks, but they wouldn't blow from an RCA fault, they'd only blow if there was other problems.

I haven't paid to have the problem fixed, i actually fix the problem.

so how much would u charge 2 fix n replace 1?

can cheap rca leads make this grounding track more prone 2 blowing aswell other than more expensive rca leads?? or am i just speaking shhit here hahaha?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Just putting it out there, but if people werent confident with repairing the damaged ground track themselves or didnt want to pay someone to do it, then would connecting the RCA ground to the head unit chassis ground also fix this problem?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If the head unit is out of warranty, it is usually about $50-75 for normal head unit, more if it's an in-dash screen or something more complicated to pull apart like that. That's about how much it'll be if Pioneer does it... You're in Perth so R&I Electronics or someone would do the repair, i'm not sure on their costs. You could post to Pioneer in Melb if you really wanted.

Cheap RCA's won't cause it. A bad ground/earth on the amp or head unit can cause it, plugging or unplugging the RCA's while the head unit is on can cause it and i'm sure there is other ways but they're the most common. Always, turn everything off before changing any wiring/leads.

shaggerz... Yep, that would fix it. It'd be better if you could do that internally on the board though so it's unseen :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
StoneX is there a way u can test the head unit 2 see if it is actually the grounding rca track??? and not the amps or rca leads or speakers making the noise???

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yes put you DMM to continuity mode and then hold 1 probe on the chassis of the unit and 1 on the ground of the rca (eg the outer contact).
simple!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
wats supposed 2 happen wen u do that?? as i do have a DMM but im new 2 it n dont know all its fuctions yet? is it the 1 that buzzes?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
something easier will be to set the dmm to resistance (ohms) and then if there is resistance (ground loop is created by resistance between grounds) the track is blown.