Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whistling sound when i throttle

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
Mine was sounding like a sewing machine when I got it. They had put the corrugated section of the air intake on back-to-front, causing an air leak and the noise. Fixed it, noise gone.

glenny1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6 Executive alloytech 04
still got the whistling sound any more info on what it could be in getting concerned more now!

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
um try checking the vacum lines on throttle body (underneath it on v6) it runs to the back of the manifold aswell
on v8 the big long pcv hoses rocker to throttle for holes

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
better take it to a mechanic and just ask them what it sounds like if your too worried. im sure one of these guys on the forum in your area would be happy to have a listen :)

ciddyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
My thoughts it could be either your air intake or your pulleys, Mine whistles when i accelerate but I know its my air intake haha
Yeah man as Richard said just take it to a mechanic if your worried :)

04sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
hey guys, i noticed today that my engine squeels too, i had a listen and think its either the belts or the pulleys :S

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
hey guys, i noticed today that my engine squeels too, i had a listen and think its either the belts or the pulleys :S

get a long metal rod or something similar and put it on the pulleys and put ur ear at the other end of the rod. the sound will travel up the steel like a stethiscope. just dont hurt yourself in the process. i think pulleys are like 40 bux from memory

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
PERFECT richard this is the correct way to check individual pulleys

if you pull the drive belt off and start the car the noise should be gone if it is gone then you know where to start looking ;)
if its not gone go to mechanic to diagnose or fix

there is a note here on your car though!
the power steering pump pulley on these is adjustable (with right tools) so that it perfectly lines up with other pulleys sometimes (a lot of times)
this is the cause of noise "misalignment" if no pulleys sound WAY louder than others then this is worth a check.
pulley misalignment on p-steer pump is normal though and happens with time and lots of hot cold hot cold like driving your car to work in the morning they dont replace it only adjust it (normally)

04sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
get a long metal rod or something similar and put it on the pulleys and put ur ear at the other end of the rod. the sound will travel up the steel like a stethiscope. just dont hurt yourself in the process. i think pulleys are like 40 bux from memory

beauty, thanks for that mate, ill sus it out first thing in the morning :)

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
any chance your car is supercharged? if it is, take it off and give it to me, fixed!!
Mines not, but when people ask what the whistling is, instead of saying vaccum leak i tell em I'm supercharged