Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has done a suspension refresh? *CURED FRONT KNOCK/CLUNK*

TAS1981

Reaction score
So I had the original shocks replaced on my 135k kms 2007 SSV. No more bounce in the suspension.

Obviously she is not going to feel like a new car but I still find the suspension crashier than I had hoped the shocks would resolve. I retained the original springs, used OEM Munroe shocks. (PS I don't want to step down from the SSV standard wheels).

I'd like less crash and rattle from the suspension if possible. Am I going to achieve that with further replacement of suspension bushings (factory / OEM only) and / or droplinks? Or am I just going to be equally disappointed in the result?

I think I will get a whole load of the dash plastc clips also to replace for hopefully a less ratlley interior. Let me know what you have done...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
koni_mclarenF1.jpg

Search this site for Koni FSD then search YouTube for same. Basically is same spec and geometry for modern Mercedes Benz standard shock.
View media item 378View media item 377

TAS1981

Reaction score
Thanks Monstar. That's certainly the Rolls Royce answer to my question but I am hesitant (read as "not gonna happen") to replace already brand new OEM shocks. I just want as close to new/OEM ride as possible. I think a firm ride is "normal", I just think that the crashes, bangs and rattles that go with it are not. So I guess partly its the interior parts rattling and crashing.

My question is will replacing further suspension system components materially help? i.e. bushes, drop links etc or is that just going to impact the handling rather than suspension compliance? does that make sense?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Am I going to achieve that with further replacement of suspension bushings (factory / OEM only) and / or droplinks? Or am I just going to be equally disappointed in the result?

Only if there's something wrong with them or they're already worn or they have play, otherwise it's a pointless exercise. Castor rods are a common one to go. While there's nothing inherently wrong with Monroe, there are definitely better ones out there that are similarly priced.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Were these crashes and bangs there before you replaced the shocks? Could the new shocks have not been fitted properly?

I would never choose OEM Mumrows for my car. I fitted a set to a car once and couldn't tell the difference between new and old. That was 20 years ago to be fair.
Shake your swaybars and links and see if they're worn or loose.

TAS1981

Reaction score
I would never choose OEM Mumrows for my car
No doubt there are other options but I wanted to achieve an OEM drive. I don't think the ride would have been particularly bad out of the factory.

Shake your swaybars and links and see if they're worn or loose.

I'll give this another go, I did do it when I last checked the brake pads with the wheel off and could not get anything to reasonably wiggle around. I have got to sort some squealing pads this weekend so will take the wheel off and have a proper poke around.

Were these crashes and bangs there before you replaced the shocks? Could the new shocks have not been fitted properly?

The ride was already crashy, one of the reasons I changed over the shocks. I definitely noticed a difference in terms of the reduction in bounce. I was disappointed by the lack of change in ride comfort though. I suppose I should just get it in and looked at again. To be honest it might just be driving around in a newer car has made me really notice that mine is 10-11 years old now and everything is looser than it once was.

I had the work done at a respected East Subs garage so I can't believe that they did not do a proper job. Can't think what they could have done wrong to be honest. Having said that a few things annoyed me...the rubber caps on the strut tops were scattered around the engine bay rather than put back on the strut tops, the radiator brackets weren't done up (loose bolts, they replaced a top hose) and they should really have insisted in doing the tracking but didn't mention it. Soooo its definitely put a seed of doubt in my mind.

I have just moved and no longer have a garage so checking all this stuff myself just got a lot more annoying.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
At 120k I changed mine in daily, just fitted near new Fe2 shocks and so much better.

What tyre pressure you running

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
With new shocks it should feel like a new car unless something else needs replacing, the new shocks are junk, or the car is not standard. Does it have 20inch wheels and crazy low profile tyres? Were the rubber strut tops replaced at same time as struts?
If your mechanic can't tighten up the radiator Bolts what else is loose?? Find a new mechanic that has some pride in their work and tell this one they're hopeless.

TAS1981

Reaction score
I’m running 34 psi in the standard SSV alloys, I think that’s the recommended pressure?

Strut tops were replaced, I’m going to have to have a real poke around and see if I can see anything.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Update: To avoid messing around i am booked in to a local (and well reviewed) mechanic to give the car a suspension inspection. I need to engage a new mechanic as I moved area anyway sot his will prove out a good initial test!

Goes in Wednesday so will update then.