Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who is a Fan or is against VR / VS Clear Lights

Discussion in 'General' started by RVN 355, May 14, 2005.

Aftermarket Clear Lights VR / VS

Poll closed May 28, 2005.
  1. Like

34.8%
  2. Dislike

65.2%
  1. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Starting to see so many Vr's With them in SA these days i wonder what the popularity is in the other states? :rice:

Cheers

SUBDUE

2. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    Count me in for dislike. They just don't seem to finish off the car. I must admit theres been a select few cars around with them that look alright

But the majority I've seen have made me spew. 16" chrome wheels, stock ride height and aftermarket tail lights don't cut it for me.

And I saw an ss with them and nearly cried.

3. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    blah..........
    hate em
    just don't do the VR any honours
    look very ...rice :mad:

4. Indy_387

Indy_387 New Member

I know what you mean... I was in Rundle street last night & saw like 3 or 4 VR's with them. No matter which way you cut it, I think they look shocking.

5. azzurro

azzurro New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive, Nissan 300zx, 1974 HJ Kingswood
    Yeah not impressed at all

Why make a beefy commodore look ricy? :rice:

Cheers

Azzurro
    PS MD751 Where were u last night.. i saw like 6 VR's and like 50 cars with Calais Inters... :bang: SUBDUE!

6. Indy_387

Indy_387 New Member

Nah, wasn’t crusin in the Calais last night. After last nights effort, I probably wouldn't be able to drive in a straight line :drink:

Rundle Street is definitely the place to spot the hot rides on a Fri/Sat night.

7. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Beers & Calais - What else do u want?

He He MD751 and Azzuro good 2 c we enjoy a nice cold beer on a cold nite. Leave the Calais @ home in the garage sounds like a plan, just take it out once in a while and show those vr drivers with skyline lights what a commodore is spose 2 be .

Cheers SUBDUE :bop:

8. Infus10n

Infus10n New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
    they look crap on vr/vs but i reckon monaro tail lights on a vt/vx is sexy.

As you can see in the picture of my friends car.

Attached Files:

9. Trevor 062

Trevor 062 Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
    They don't seem to suit commodores..Look ok on japa's though.

10. 2_SeeK_U

2_SeeK_U Wheels on the bus go round and round...

Members Ride:
    1997 VS Commodore II
    I can understand where your guys are coming form, l mean they really don't suit a pretty much stock commo, but on a nicely done VS-VR, they can and do suit the car nicely.

The only times l think you shouldn't have them on is if you own a stock commo or a real HSV, as the standard lights suit the shapes of those kits.

EDIT: my post made no sense really b4 :(.... l wasn't even drunk??

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  11. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Monaro - Game Over 4 VR /VS

Hey Fellas Thanks for all who responded and voted so far , looks like the vr lights are not gettin the rating but who cares ne way! lol

The Monaro lights on the VT / VX gives a much different aspect of sport if you get me. There off a Monaro Gees u can have Monaro Bonnets, Lights, Interior parts, Rims, Guards and why do people put em on there Vt'S ETC because yeah there Phat. I beleive a owner of a VN Calais is just 2 keep things simple and effective like nice alloys, nice paint, lowered and nice stereo not 20 stickers,6" exhaust, jap lights and so on. The vr /vs ones just dont have the same characteristics of a great australian icon like the Monaro. :rofl:

Also heres a Pic of the car

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vbgarage.php?do=thumb&width=175&id=313

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  12. The1985divo

The1985divo Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    have tosay they look great.....makes the car look heaps newer

13. nathanb

nathanb Guest

I don't mind them on a car with the right mods - I even contemplated a set for my car, but I've decided not to but more because they are too common now, and too many people put them on a car which is otherwise stock and that's when it looks like it's a :rice: car.

I'd also make the comment that they look crap with the standard rear garnish.

One weird thing is I've seen them on a lt of VR's but not a lot of VS's... I wonder what's up with that?

14. MuNtEd

MuNtEd New Member

In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
    Members Ride:
    94 VR EXEC
    i dont like the design on them

yeah i want to change my tail lights but a better design would be better
    like the layout of the standard lights but clear

15. Snowfox

Snowfox New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Commodore SL
    Even out in the sticks a few cars have the clear lights, some look cool some dont. I'd maybe consider them if I had a later model, but clear lights on a VL :whistling dont think so..

16. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Members Ride:
    VX-II Lumina Sedan
    The only reason I am contemplating them for our VS-II Berlina is cost. Yeah, they look Ok and are something different, but when you can get them for $200 a set, that's gotta be a bargain.
    One of our taillights has been broken slightly by some chump with (I guess) a shopping trolley, and it is now slowly cracking up. I don't want to risk a heart attack by going to Holden and asking the price of new ones, and the local wreckers don't have any VR/VS Commodores anyway.

However, I do agree that a different design based more on the original lights pattern might look better instead of the ricey projectors all over the place.
    The trouble is that VR/VS models are getting a bit old now...aftermarket makers will probably concentrate more on the newer models, and that is where you will see the innovation.

17. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

I bought a set for my white VR Calais but only left them on for a week. I didn't like the yellow plastic in the indicators, clear plastic with an orange bulb would look better. the red plastics between the boot part and the outer parts seemed a different shade, too (maybe my eyesight is farked?) :eek:hmy:

I asked the place I bought them off about who makes them, etc, and they couldn't tell me the name. Some place in SE Asia apparently with no website. I thought of putting the lamps in hot water to soften the seals, so I could take out the orange plastic and replace it with clear. But I thought, why bother? Stock rear lights with a legal tint (clear paint with drops of black in it) look better anyway.

It's a pity someone doesn't make some aftermarket lights in the same style as stock, BUT using the same sort of red & clear plastic as on VX Calais. But I spose VR/VS is too old for anyone to spend the time and money on making such a kit. The depo rear lights are only available 'cause they're cheap and nasty! ($200 = cheap = nasty) :mad:

BUT the depo headlights and front indicators are different though - they look cool. :air:

18. DIABLO

DIABLO New Member

Members Ride:
    vz ss 5.7ltr
    they dont look RICEY if there on the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello my fellow commodore lovers

The VR/Vs commo lights look absolutly wicked if there on the right kind of car. I own a red vr s pak standard fe2 suspension with 17" brock directors and i have them and they look really good (especially when ur speding away from 300 zx'es :whistling ). So ne 1 who doesnt like them and says they look like **** r wrong, but its all in personal taste and what you are trying to do with your car :b:

:ranting:

Cheers d chef

19. vsclarion4u

vsclarion4u Guest

hey man, u may wanna try a search on ebay, ive seen stockies on there before for pplz who have the clearies and are gettin rid of their old ones...

i luved em when just the odd car had them. made me stare like crazy.. but now it's just like. yeah wateva. no different. in order to be cool it's gotta be unique. just gettin really sick of em. :bang:

20. WILD VR CLUBBY

WILD VR CLUBBY lack of licence

Members Ride:
    2004 vy s
    if your talking about the altezza tail lights put me in the dislike category
    if your talking about the clear indicators on the side put me in the agree category