Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who machine's wheels?

VT9C1-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 9C1
i had ve ss rims on my vt, i used the wheel nuts off the vz wagon the rims came off, the rims were brand new never on a ve and machined by holden in frankston

i never had any issues with the ve ss rims

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
You can always try calling a few machine shops that are not nessecarily(Spelling) automotive based.A few of those businesses would have the machinery either lathes or cnc machines that could do the job.

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
found a few machine shops around south, well 2 exactly so ill will b giving them a call 2mw sumtime
1 is called artec engineering and the other is christies light engineering..

any1 heard of them or done work? apprently artec do work for holden and mitsubishi

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I've had some basic machining done on my wheels, I paid 45 per wheel.

If you're questioning price you have to remember that they're doing it precisely to the mm and if it's off balance they can ruin your wheels.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
you guys are all getting shafted by the sounds of it...

I went back to the same tyre guy for my SSV 19's after getting an 18's package about 6 months prior, he arranged the machining, and dropped off and picked up the rims as they werent done in house, and only cost me $12.50 a rim ie $50 for the set! Chrome wheel nuts were part of the deal, and while they dont have as much clamping area as stock wheel nuts per Announcements , after 18 months i havent had any problems whatsoever. I'll get around to changing them for genuine nuts eventually. All in all, there's no real point in changing the studs as long as you use the right nuts. After all, the studs are only there to locate the rim on the centre bore, they're not actually bearing any load!

Hope this helps

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
then i guess they will b buying me new wheels if they f*k it up :)

Lol..... Good luck on that one. Some may replace the wheels but most would take it on an all care and no responsibility basis. Why risk a cost of $2000 (?) for a $160 job? Most would probably prefer not to do the job.

you guys are all getting shafted by the sounds of it...

I went back to the same tyre guy for my SSV 19's after getting an 18's package about 6 months prior, he arranged the machining, and dropped off and picked up the rims as they werent done in house, and only cost me $12.50 a rim ie $50 for the set! Chrome wheel nuts were part of the deal, and while they dont have as much clamping area as stock wheel nuts per Announcements , after 18 months i havent had any problems whatsoever. I'll get around to changing them for genuine nuts eventually. All in all, there's no real point in changing the studs as long as you use the right nuts. After all, the studs are only there to locate the rim on the centre bore, they're not actually bearing any load!

??? They take minimal shear load however the torsional forces can be quite high. The studs are all that hold the wheels to your hub. As for the clamping area, the issue may take a while to develop as you will have a high pressure area on the wheel that can cause a point for failure over time. Think of it this way, clamping force distributed over a small area vs the same clamping force distributed over a much larger (at least twice) area = lower pressure at any one point.

Reaper

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I used a die grinder on a 17" space saver. It fit in the end.