Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who Pays

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Make a claim, your insurance company will soon seek who is responsible, if you pay excess and they find roads or council liable you will be refunded and not penalised.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Fingers crossed your bad luck is over mate! as stated try the council,you never know what they might say and no harm in asking.ALSO,make sure your insurance company doesn't try to screw your no claim bonus discount as you are not at fault.If they do,change to AAMI :smoking:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I might be barking up the wrong tree here (sorry just had to) but if you can prove negligence that the tree was reported as dangerous, diseased etc you may be in with a shot, but in reality the time taken to chase it up it would be cheaper just to part with your money and pay up.

Scott

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
go the council, you might be surprised - I think this falls under the same thing as when someone is mowing and a rock hits your car or a pothole destroys your rim - mileage can vary.

Yeah and Ill give you the hot tip, chasing the council or Vicroads for damage to wheels for potholes is a long and drawn out process.

OP, this is why you have insurance, for accidents that happen to your car. The council will laugh at you for even attempting to get money out of them for a tree branch falling.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At the very least make a complaint to the council so they can take better care of tree maintenance in the future.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
At the very least make a complaint to the council so they can take better care of tree maintenance in the future.
Yeah buts its a Gumtree... Its what they do unfortunately. We had a similar incident when a branch came crashing down and took out our power and telephone to the house. We were responsible for paying the electrician to replace our main fuse and damages to the house.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Well this is such **** bad luck!

Overhanging trees on country roads scare the **** out of me. Driving along at 100km/hr and one snaps and falls, with really unlucky timing, you're dead. :-(

I'd be pursuing it to see where you can get. The insurance company will want to pursue it too as they'll be out of pocket. Be interesting to see how you get on mate. Let us know.

Hell yes!

Yeah buts its a Gumtree... Its what they do unfortunately. We had a similar incident when a branch came crashing down and took out our power and telephone to the house. We were responsible for paying the electrician to replace our main fuse and damages to the house.

But what happens if a tree branch from a tree on council (or someone else's) land falls and kills someone?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
public liability.
SPausnet paid to rerun a new power and Telstra fixed the telephone... eventually lol. We had to pay for damages to our house where it was ripped off the side of the house. Put it through the

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I had to deal with this sort of thing when I was at the NSW RTA as engineer. I had two instances where the road environment (or our activity) caused damage to vehicles. The RTA protocol was to get the claimant to make statement, with pics, and send it off to the legal department. Not sure how successful you'll be, but worth a shot.

That being said if someone was seriously injured or killed, public liability lawyers would have a field day.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
Best case scenario is that you will pay excess and the council may reimburse part of that. it doesn't hurt to speak to the council but do it respectfully otherwise guaranteed you'll get nowhere!.

most likely outcome is that you'll have to pay and wear it!. sucks but that's why we have insurance.

Also with regards to premium next year, your insurance may be ok with it, however some insurance companies penalise you regardless of fault, 1 company wanted to charge me $2600 to insure my Caprice due to a not at fault claim where the other driver was identified!!.