Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
Personally it needs some more algorithms or something to help it along.............just not fluid in its thinking.....lol

Also, i reckon it makes the engine use more fuel......compared to driving by foot and keeping to a set speed etc.......

Thoughts?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wouldn't characterise it as "sucking", if it were that bad I wouldn't use it (and I use it a lot).
I agree it'll drop 5km/h before stomping the throttle a bit too much & by the time it does that stomping you're nearly at the top of the hill so you end-up doing 10km/h over just as a cop goes the other way ... it's nowhere near as accurate as various rentals I've driven from other manufacturers.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Never had a problem with the cruise control in my V6-engined Calais V. On flat or uphill roads it keeps the car's speed within +/- 3 km/h of the set speed. I just wish it did the same on long downhill roads, instead of letting the speed build up. I either have to use the gears in Sport mode to slow the car, or tap the brakes which of course cancels cruise control. Generally though I think it does a good job, especially on long country runs when it's all too easy to let one's speed creep up without realising it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I have no problem with it on my VE.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
It speeds up nicely going down hill :D

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Never had a problem with the cruise control in my V6-engined Calais V. On flat or uphill roads it keeps the car's speed within +/- 3 km/h of the set speed. I just wish it did the same on long downhill roads, instead of letting the speed build up. I either have to use the gears in Sport mode to slow the car, or tap the brakes which of course cancels cruise control. Generally though I think it does a good job, especially on long country runs when it's all too easy to let one's speed creep up without realising it.
My S2 SV6 is the same, quite accurate at maintaining speed up and down small hills, but will run away, it doesnt brake like my E3 Clubby down hills.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Cruise control will not brake going down a hill unless you have adaptive cruise control with another vehicle in front of you. VF does not have adaptive cruise control.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
it doesnt brake like my E3 Clubby down hills.
What - really?!

Cruise control will not brake going down a hill unless you have adaptive cruise control with another vehicle in front of you.
Since we're talking features that VF's don't have ... this isn't always correct, quite a few cars will use the ABS actuators to keep a car at the set speed downhill.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
cruise control works well but not market leading :eek:

I would have liked a long up press to increase speed 10kph while a short up press to increase 2kph. Similar logic for down press speed decrease. Icing on the cake would have been more positive engine braking when going down hill with ABS intervention if needed so as to avoid speeding fines going down hill.

That’s an easy firmware update for Holden to provide but Holden is Holden o_O