Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who's got a varajet?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Love them or hate them. Just wondering who is using a 2 barrel varajet or even a quaddie.
Do you have any tips and tricks to keep them running right?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Love them or hate them. Just wondering who is using a 2 barrel varajet or even a quaddie.
Do you have any tips and tricks to keep them running right?
:)

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm a technician by trade I have never worked on one and likely never will but when we get carbies in the three 50+ blokes I work with help me. The thing is I'm planing on running a street demon these guys don't know what they are. Carby diag is common sense with the right training, if you can fix a webber than you can fix a quadrajet because diag is the same even though design is different.
I fixed the carb on my mates honda road cruiser bike the guys at work had never worked on one of these carbs. You know how I fixed it? I pulled it down and traced every circuit and found a diaphragm not working because of a blockage and it worked. initial diag was sparying cooking oil on the plunger and the bike ran perfect until the fuel washed it off. So I discovered a port that keeps fuel on the plunger to keep vaccume using a fluid seal.

That is an example of using common sense.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I have screwed my varajet fuel/air mixture screw all the way in and the engine is running at 900 rpm. Trying to figure out what to look at to get it right.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
When I still had dual fuel I took the carby apart and found the shafts had so much gap you could drive a Mack truck through.
Off to the carby joint and bronze bushes were installed.Float level and needle and seat were replaced and the Auto choke was fixed. There might be more but just ask away.

When you opened up your carby was it junky inside or relatively clean?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I have screwed my varajet fuel/air mixture screw all the way in and the engine is running at 900 rpm. Trying to figure out what to look at to get it right.
:)

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When U screw the screw in does it come to a stop when all the way in or does it keep turning?
Have U found the idle screw? Not the choke screw.

Whilst I haven't worked on a Varijet, I have had a single barrel stromberg, where you screw the mixture screw in and it doesn't bottom out....Turned out that the brass fitting that the mixture screw goes into had a thread that was nackered.....Replaced the thread and mixture screw and it bottomed out.

Another way to tell if that thread is nackered is, while the car is running, spray some WD40/CRC/fly spray directly at the mixture screw and listen for the revs to go up. If it does, it'll be knackered and will require replacement

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm a technician by trade I have never worked on one and likely never will but when we get carbies in the three 50+ blokes I work with help me. The thing is I'm planing on running a street demon these guys don't know what they are. Carby diag is common sense with the right training, if you can fix a webber than you can fix a quadrajet because diag is the same even though design is different.
I fixed the carb on my mates honda road cruiser bike the guys at work had never worked on one of these carbs. You know how I fixed it? I pulled it down and traced every circuit and found a diaphragm not working because of a blockage and it worked. initial diag was sparying cooking oil on the plunger and the bike ran perfect until the fuel washed it off. So I discovered a port that keeps fuel on the plunger to keep vaccume using a fluid seal.

That is an example of using common sense.

The 50 year old fellas don't know what a street demon carb is? Surely you aren't being serious....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The 50 year old fellas don't know what a street demon carb is? Surely you aren't being serious....
They fix standard cars. We used to have a dyno 30 years ago but the big boss made the decision to get rid of it. We don't do performance upgrades. Seeing as street demons are relatively new they don't work on them. I can't remember the last carby car we had in tbh we rarely see stuff older than 2000. New eruo cars yea we have plenty we have a 2016 4cyl diesel merc in atm with noisy lifters on start up which we have to solve on top of the X-mas rush.

We don't do perfomance because 90% of cars on the road and 99% of kilometers driven are with A to B cars which is where the money is. My big boss has more money than most at a guess his portfolio has to be more than 20 mil.