Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who's got a varajet?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Whilst I haven't worked on a Varijet, I have had a single barrel stromberg, where you screw the mixture screw in and it doesn't bottom out....Turned out that the brass fitting that the mixture screw goes into had a thread that was nackered.....Replaced the thread and mixture screw and it bottomed out.

Another way to tell if that thread is nackered is, while the car is running, spray some WD40/CRC/fly spray directly at the mixture screw and listen for the revs to go up. If it does, it'll be knackered and will require replacement
:)

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
When U screw the screw in does it come to a stop when all the way in or does it keep turning?
Have U found the idle screw? Not the choke screw.

I am referring to the larger screw (it is screwed all the way in and comes to a stop, it does not keep turning)

It is located above the smaller screw below it.

10032011092-001.jpg

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I am under the impression the larger screw in the above pic is the idle screw, and about 2 and a half turns out from fully seated is roughly where the idle should be. The issue is it is fully seated and i am getting about 900 rpm at idle.

Is it fair to suspect there is a vacuum leak somewhere?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Here is a better pic of the Varajet II issued with the VK model. I am using a VH carby that is very similar.

The "idle bypass" screw is all the way in.

carbmix-jpg.35193

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I am under the impression the larger screw in the above pic is the idle screw, and about 2 and a half turns out from fully seated is roughly where the idle should be. The issue is it is fully seated and i am getting about 900 rpm at idle.

Is it fair to suspect there is a vacuum leak somewhere?

Honestly, I'm unsure which screw adjusts what.....I have a varijet on a VH here, but have had no cause to fiddle with it....However, you could spray both screws with CRC/WD40 or Flyspray and see if the revs rise......This will prove or discount those being the problem....

I have also discovered the plastic vacuum trees on the inlet manifold do have a habit of causing vacuum leaks, due to age.....So another port of call to try

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I am referring to the larger screw (it is screwed all the way in and comes to a stop, it does not keep turning)I;m talking about the idle screw that you have to get a torch and it's on the left side have U found it?

Somehow you quoted something i did not write and included something maybe you did not either.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The single barrel Strommy was the first carb that I ever took apart and put back in my FJ and FC Holden
Worksop manual What are they?
You could fix a car with a bit of wire and string
We learnt the hard way
Yep they were the days
Leaded petrol was all we had and it only cost $5 to fill up
I would go down to the auto parts shop and buy a $2 sports air filter and away I'd go

That's why I have older cars.....:) I enjoy the KISS system

I was lucky enough about 5 years ago to get hold of some leaded petrol from a car that had been sitting for 30 years.....My car never ran soo good....:p

Anyways I've reminised enough....:)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They fix standard cars. We used to have a dyno 30 years ago but the big boss made the decision to get rid of it. We don't do performance upgrades. Seeing as street demons are relatively new they don't work on them. I can't remember the last carby car we had in tbh we rarely see stuff older than 2000. New eruo cars yea we have plenty we have a 2016 4cyl diesel merc in atm with noisy lifters on start up which we have to solve on top of the X-mas rush.

We don't do perfomance because 90% of cars on the road and 99% of kilometers driven are with A to B cars which is where the money is. My big boss has more money than most at a guess his portfolio has to be more than 20 mil.

Still shaking my head, that they aren't aware of street demon carbs....If my crappy memory serves me correct, they've been around for 15 years or so and I'm 99% sure, they're basically a holley carb.....

Oh and the latest performance carbs are quick fuel carbs......From what I've heard (and I have rellies involved in the burnout scene and mates with nice streeters), they crap all over holley's and street demons....

Don't take my word for it, do some research

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Okay looks like the engine had a vacuum leak and was running lean through the rear manifold vac tree. Those plastic buggers are not the best. Had an interesting time looking on YouTube at how people "smoke" their engines to find vac leaks.

Or you can use a cigar to blow smoke through your intake.