Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why 2 Different types of Engine Pipes on Ecotec V6 engines ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm still to this day trying to work out why IRS fitted cars use a different set of engine pipes from the manifolds to the exhaust flange past the Catalytic converter. IRS vehicles have a flexi joint in the RH pipe while Live axle vehicles have both pipes as solid metal without the flexi joint.

If anyone know why this is the case I'd love to know as I might have to replace my IRS Acclaim set and I do have a set of near new Live axle pipes on hand.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
From really crappy memory, the IRS pipes at the rear are routed differently to the live axle pipes.

And by really crappy memory, I vaguely remember this, when I tried getting a job in Holden back in 95, when they were building these cars....

Was only there a week, when I got another job

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi VC,

Yes the IRS exhaust system goes under the axles assembly while live axle has them go above but that shouldn't affect the engine pipe set up as the flange will be in the exact same position regardless of the axle assembly fitted.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the IRS exhaust system goes under the axles
This is probably the reason. I'm guessing Holden thought there was a higher chance of the rear section hitting something and moving around. Whether that would actually happen, I really doubt it.

Don't remember seeing one on mine, VS Series 2 thing or across the IRS range?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_3831.JPG

That idea probably may be the answer as the rest of the system hangs a tad lower than a Live axle unit at the rear.

The photo is looking upwards at the LH engine Pipe. This is factory and not aftermarket.