Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why can't Holden smash its competitors?

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
You said it haloeight!
I think the perception of this car to the average Aussie will change from the old model. The quality of it is so much better and you are getting more for your money. But still, the average Aussie will still just look out for their own and buy what suits them financially rather than buy something because it will save jobs. And unfortunately, thats something you cant really change. The only good thing to come out of the Government making tariffs so low, is that it has forced Holden to make a much better car due to the amount of competition. Lets hope Australia sees that and opts for a Commodore rather than a piece of rice crap.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
haloeight said:
When the import tariffs on imported cars are removed completely holden and ford AU will probably go broke, as every asian country under the sun that can produce cars at 1/3 the cost that we can (due to a lack of trade unions and sweatshops seen as an acceptable practice), will flood the market with crap cars and all the cheaparses (95% of the population) will flock to them, this is also a reason why holden is investing in korea, because people cant see the big picture beyond wanting to save a buck on something.

You do realise that the tarifs are only 10% now on imported cars, korea actually pays the same wages as Australia, problem is for every doller you pay the workers there is 40c minimum that is payed in super, taxes and other costs.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I think Chinese car makers are the biggest threat... 10 year, 300,000 mile warranties on some brands and the newer chinese cars look pretty decent and are very very cheap. They have world class companies working on their cars too, with Lotus doing the engineering for some etc.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
Thankyou everyone for great responses-especially HALOEIGHT.

I understand now!

I really don't see how Ford can manage to still sell XRs though, except to the die hards. With the VE outclassing the BF in so many ways, and the fact that the VE is a starting point for much more future advances, whereas the Boss V8 is the last engine they currently fit into the XR8, I'm happy for our favourite brand.

Here's a new question: What do we think of the new Ford vehicle coming in ?2009? ? 'Orion' or whatever. I've looked for info on google but can't find anything meaningful.

Cheers, Matt

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Puggle said:
Here's a new question: What do we think of the new Ford vehicle coming in ?2009? ? 'Orion' or whatever. I've looked for info on google but can't find anything meaningful.

Orion will be out in 08. I guess with the dramatic in fuel prices it can give Ford a heads up to give the new model more fuel efficient, one thing that the VE is being criticized about.

Now everyone says that the VE outclasses the current Ford (not disputing this), but in what way?

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
heck even my VYII outclasses the current ford interior lol. I can't get over how plastic and thin the steering wheel feels in the XR6T and I assume the rest of BA/BF...

Maybe someone with more head knowledge on the VE can answer. It's all about new suspension, new chassis, new everything!

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The 2008 Falcon should be good... But Ford will always be behind Holden in my books.

Looks like the current I6 will remain, however it will have an alloy block making it an all alloy engine like Holdens Alloytech. Who knows what it looks like though, but its inspired by the Ford Europe Iosis concept car pictured below:
800px-Ford_iosis.jpg

Ford wont be spending as much money in development though as the $1 Billion Dollar VE. Ford have scaled back the funding for the 2008 Falcon however the government has given them another $100 million in a deal to ensure the 2008 Falcon will be exported overseas. Again it looks as though the 2008 Falcon will replace the Ford Crown Victoria in the United States and it will be designed in LHD and RHD formats.

The Ford LTD and Fairlanes dont look to continue with the 2008 Falcon with combined sales now under 100 a month, it just doesnt seem profitable for Ford with the Statesman and Caprice being such a strong seller.

Oh and it was mentioned by Ford that final designs would not be set in concrete until Christmas time as they were awaiting the VE, and changes to the car may take place depending on the reception of the VE Commodore, largely to the interior. I know the actual exterior design has been settles with Clay models existing for some time at Ford AU, however someone else here on JC said a full model would be built before the year is out... But I havent heard much of this myself.

Lastly, front suspension will be a similar setup to that used on the current Ford Territory.

Last edited:

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
The Iosis sounds and looks like a disease. Too space age.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
1991_Vn2nV said:
Looks like the current I6 will remain, however it will have an alloy block making it an all alloy engine like Holdens Alloytech.

Where did you hear this, why would they need to make an all alloy engine as it would only drop bout 10kg in the overall weight of the car.

Also an Orion will be built before the year is out.