Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do commies from vr-vs have major oil leaks!!!!!!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I had a harmonic balancer seal go, and they are prone to steering pumps leaking as well. My rear main has a slight weep too but I'm not worried too much about it. All up cost me $6 for the seal and $72 for the pump rebuild kit as it was making a noise also.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
i no alot of people that own either vr or vs all models and have a lot of problems with some or major oil leakes anyone else owning a vr-vs have major oil issues and how much 2 fix

Oil leaks are pretty much standard on the old ecotec 6, and on the previous six cyl for the VN to VR. Power steering leaks are extremely common, as are the pumps failing. Ever commodore I have ever looked at has a leaking or weeping rear main seal, including mine and my parents. My rear main isn't too bad, it just weeps a bit, but the parents has been done twice under warranty, first time was when the car was six months old, and it still leaks now, even dripping on the driveway. Its certainly not worth repairing the rear main due to the cost of the job, but aslong as you degrease it often, its generally ok.

Transmission gaskets also leak, but that can be easily fixed with a trans service. I haven't had any problems with my diff leaking, except for the diff breather pipe, which did leak at one stage.

The other common leak is the rocker cover gaskets, mine aren't too bad, but the parent's VS leaks pretty badly.... don't know why, it has heaps less km than mine...

I guess that with the age of the VR and VS now, a lot of seals will be perishing or wearing out, so you have to expect do some replacing along the way...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
mine dosnt drip a single drop, the rear main is as clean as, everything in mine is fine except for a slight weep from the power steer pump

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Simple reason: Sh*t Boxes.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I had a harmonic balancer seal go, and they are prone to steering pumps leaking as well. My rear main has a slight weep too but I'm not worried too much about it. All up cost me $6 for the seal and $72 for the pump rebuild kit as it was making a noise also.

from my experiences, keep your rubber boot (on the steering rod) in good condition. If this deteriates, it lets dirt eat out seals... I had this happen to me...

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
the seals that are used usually perish once the engines show some age and this can be said for a lot of car makers, its not really that strange but Holden did have some quality control issues when these cars were made which is showing today, but still less trouble than falcons, hopefully they have finally got it right with the VE

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Well from VN-VY people have problems with oil leaks, I got mine fixed some yrs ago under warranty, and now I have one very small leak which i'm not worried. I got every seal replaced including rear main seal, and the dealer told me that they lost money on my car!