Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why doesnt my thermo fan turn on when i press the a/c buttor vs calais

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Is your air con cold ? And does your engine fan work on both high and low speed ? Maybe your low speed relay is caput, as this should switch on at 1/2 way on the temp gauge, and high speed about 3/4. Try swapping the relays around in the fuse box in the engine bay and try again.

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
im not sure about low and high speed but i know the engine fan comes on at 3/4 i thought they come on at that temp in an ecotec?? no the air con is hot it just blows air no cool air i dont think the air con compressor clutch is coming on ill have to check when i get home

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I can only speak for my car, but my low speed fan comes on at half way on the gauge, and high speed at 3/4 and i think this is how it should be. Try swapping or replacing the low speed fan relay.
Another minor detail is to check if the little green light in the AC switch comes on when you press the buttin. If not maybe its just your switch that is rooted !?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
from memory the light will still go on, even when the compressor doesnt kick in

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
it is a v6 ecotec vs calais when i hit the a/c button on the climate control the little a/c icon comes up on the display on the screen

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
It sounds like your a/c is low (needs re-gas) There's a pressure switch that stops the a/c from turning on if the pressure is low. It's a safety feature to stop you from running the system dry. I've previously bypassed the switch (on a ford) for testing purposes but only ever for a split second.

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
hey all i just checked if my air compressor kicks in and it doesnt i checked all the fuses and the fan still doesnt come on anymore ideas??

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
maybe the compressor clutch is dead, or its an electrical problem and its not getting power to it ?