Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why lower?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
:yeah::yeah:Ok I have been a holden enthusiast now for many years, more than twenty. I don't see what all the fuss is about for the need to lower the Commodores, no matter which model. Newer cars, other than 4x4's are already heaps lower than the older ones right from factory, ie I could wriggle my way under my HT's and HK's etc with little effort, and I can't do that with the VY unless I jack it up slightly.
IMO the handling doesn't improve greatly when lowered, the word is they look better but personally I disagree, not to mention the hassles you guys have when exiting servo's or any other driveway that has a slight dip; take it on an angle and all that crap. And last but not least we don't (or aren't supposed to) drive at speeds where the lowering will have beneficial results regarding handling anyway. In my PERSONAL opinion they look better at factory height with a set of nice fats all round.
I don't wish to condemn you guys that do lower and if that's your trip then good luck but am I missing something here? Also a lot of VT's particularly look LOL with their back tyres at near thirty degree angles some even with camber kits.:yeah:

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
IMO looks alot better, and can also handle much better if done correctly.

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
If noone lowered their car, they would all look the same. Like every modification, people do it to suit their tastes or requirements, or to just stand out from the rest of the crowd.
And whats wrong with a dumper car with fats:w00t:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It just the fashion these days, everyone knows it's more trouble than it's worth and I agree that a very low (family sedan) never looks good. I'm sure most of the guys will change their mind on the ultra low springs one day. Maybe the day they try to accelerate fast with low and hard springs:)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yeah well I reckon that nearly all young blokes commodores have been lowered, just like they nearly all had spoilers on the boot but now it seems that spoilers aren't flavour of the month quite so much any more. And as a result are opting to get rid of them.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Maybe I'm just an old fart!!! (34)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well when you are young you haven't learned enough to be very different from other people of the same age so lowering you car makes you different, so does random piercings on your face or pink hair :p. Once you get older you don't feel those same kind of things. Once everyone is running on Ultralows then stock springs will be the fashion :)

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Well foamy, I'm not going to argue with you incase I ever want to hit you up for a tune hahahahah :whistling
But yeah, I can agree, fads come and die. Just like we noticed in the fads thread which seems to not be active anymore. People get inspiration from anothers car, so they do the same to their own car. I can;t see anything wrong with it.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
VYMAD, I understand what your saying. Some people just put in the crappiest/cheapest/lowest springs possible for looks but with no regard to handling. I personally think a car lowered where the guards are lower than the rim look ridiculous. But if done properly with some thought it can handle and look very nice.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
lowering your car is like wearing stiletto's some like it some don't i for one do not.
some will say it feels better and some will say it looks better most will say it handles better but then there's the minority that say and think it looks good and feels better to where stiletto's or have your car at standard height or above.