Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why the Chevy SS Was a Failure

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
WOW, all this anger toward the "Yanks". SMH.

I tell you what, the VF is well liked here by those of us who own them. I get people looking at mine all the time scratching their heads wondering what it is. It's funny to watch really. I don't care for the bowtie either, so I took them all off and put on the Holden stuff just like this ride deserves. Lots of heritage in these cars.

Besides, I understand you Aussies have a love affair with American V8's anyway. LOL Besides, everyone has a Mustang or a Camaro or a Charger or a Challenger here. Who cares about those cars, they are a dime a dozen. B.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
No heritage in the US market. Only old people buy V8's now and they only buy cars they wanted to own when they were younger. Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger.... We bought Commodores because they were an Aussie throwback, means nothing to US, its true it looks like a big Malibu to them which are universally despised.

I 100% agree with this comment.

With that said, there is a niche group of Chevy SS / Holden Commodore enthusiasts in the US. I've been in contact with one who I also follow up YouYube, he regularly goes to meetups and there's a surprising amount of cars that have been returned to Holden spec.

Here's his YouTube for anyone who's interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkS1FEvGomQwScwfNfk2cKg/videos

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
WOW, all this anger toward the "Yanks". SMH.

I tell you what, the VF is well liked here by those of us who own them. I get people looking at mine all the time scratching their heads wondering what it is. It's funny to watch really. I don't care for the bowtie either, so I took them all off and put on the Holden stuff just like this ride deserves. Lots of heritage in these cars. Besides, I understand you Aussies have a love affair with American V8's anyway. LOL Besides, everyone has a Mustang or a Camaro or a Charger or a Challenger here. Who cares about those cars, they are a dime a dozen. B.

Just noticed this post after I posted, proves my point exactly!

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
What point is that? B.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Obama started printing money to make himself look good to fools and that increased our Aussie Dollar and that's why the cost of it was so high for USA standards and so GM did not want to promote the car, we were set to sell Statesman, sedan and ute to the USA.

But what does that bloke drive, some FWD 4 CYL s box wagon ?

I think that yank cars come std and you then option them up, but here we go with up spec models of that car to keep resale up as well as having a better car over all.

Most Yanks are boring people who do not know any better, they have driven big FWD s boxes for so long with crap shocks for a smooth floaty ride, you see a lot of roads over their that just follow the lay of the land, they do not cut into and over the way we do so as to get a good flat road.

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Well, I'm not a fool and definitely NO fan of O'Bummer. Boy, lots of "assumptions" about "Yanks". Come on over some time and have a look see.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Most Yanks are boring people who do not know any better
Is it acceptable for me to bristle just a little bit at this on behalf of yank mates, or is that considered too PC these days?

May I point you to the top 10 best-selling cars in Australia in July, in order; Hilux, Ranger, Corolla, Mazda3, Mazda CX5, Hyundai I30, Rav4, Golf, Nissan Entrail, Hyundai Tucson.
The 3 is best categorised as "the most interesting of a dull category", the Golf & I30 have interesting variants that sell so few they add nothing to sales figures on those cars, and the rest of that lot falls somewhere between "dull as dishwater" (Corolla") and "so bad I'd top myself if I was stuck in one" (Hilux).

Something something stones glass houses something … :)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Why it failed ? it failed because of the same reason the ZB might , it came from a foreign source. It is a good car , as is the ZB , the yanks just did not like it .

I don't think it is a case of the Yanks didn't like it ……. they didn't know it existed.
A NASCAR Chevy SS ? That could have been anything ……. a bit like a Camry NASCAR, or a Nissan Altima V8Supercar.

Most Yanks are boring people who do not know any better, they have driven big FWD s boxes for so long with crap shocks for a smooth floaty ride, you see a lot of roads over their that just follow the lay of the land, they do not cut into and over the way we do so as to get a good flat road.

A bit harsh, but not as boring as a Aussie who has Chev badges on their Commodore grille and boot, and the Australian flag on the back window.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Some of the stupid things he criticised illustrate gross ignorance. V8 engine cover, no-name sill plates. Really? Well, hell yeah. Can't have that.

Wanker.