Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why.

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
Ok guys firstly, been awhile since I've been on. I recently installed my new motor. Set the motor to tdc 1 to install dizzy. All good. When it's running the timing mark doesn't even register in the the degree indicators, thoughts please. Crank and cam was set by the old dot method and nine links. I have to turn the dizzy clockwise 90 degrees to get the timing mark in the zone but the car then stalls
Cheers jc

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Check that the balancer hasn't spun
Good possibility, I had one with a flogged key way once. Drop the belt off and check for play.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
For a carbureted engine you
have to disconnect the vacuum
hose from the dizzy and block the rubber hose with a small screw or a golf tee so there is no vacuum leak .
Then you can adjust the timing.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
have you made sure that the TDC mark is actually at TDC for number one, and that you've got the dizzy in the correct spot? Even if you think it's right, check it again.

Apart from that, was the timing cover original, or from a later model?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Did you block off vacuum advance and is the dizzy in good condition with no shaft play. The mech advance weights etc could be worn but not likely that's more at speed.
Perhaps double check the cam timing?

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
Did you block off vacuum advance and is the dizzy in good condition with no shaft play. The mech advance weights etc could be worn but not likely that's more at speed.
Perhaps double check the cam timing?

Full rebuild, everything is new. Blocking the vac advance made no difference. Will reset dizzy again for the 4th time.