Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wildly fluctuating temperature after service on SV6

dunzsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey Mate, im having the same issues with my VZ SV6 and im also from adelaide, I have replaced the radiator and pump and again, the temp guage raced up to red, and sat there for a sec, and then "click" it comes back down to normal running temp once I pop the cap. At first thought it may have air locks, but now I have noticed a coolant residue running down the gearbox/Engine Join(check yours). First thought was head gasket, but Holden's believe it is the thermostat housing and gasket leaking. Getting fixed tomorrow. Will let you know if it fixes it. I would hope that after only 130,000kms it wouldn't have a blown gasket!!!!!!

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hi, i got sick of paying $400 a service from the holden dealership for an oil change so I took my car to an RAA approved service place to do the oil, fuel and air filters.

that was about 2 weeks ago.

temperature before service was solid on two bars on the guage, but i notice over the last week that the temp is fluctuating quite rapidly between 3 bars (never gets cooler than that) and half way up. yesterday driving back from Victor harbour it was doing it a bit more noticely but was keeping cool because of air flow at 110.

when i stopped at lights it was fine for 1 min and then as i got up to 60 it went right up to 1 bar below the red zone within about 15 seconds and then dropped back down to between points 3 and 4 on the temp guage.

it wouldn't have been something stupid the service people have done would it?

checked coolant when got home and it's all there, no leaks from hoses that i can see. is it likely to be thermostat or temperature guage sender is faulty? seems to go up to fast to be real temperature. it's not just the guage on the dash as the thermo fan runs the whole time to cool it down so the car things it's hot.

ideas?

Hey mate could be all the things above since i am a auto-elec i think electrical.
could be the coolant temp sensor.
Becasue you said seems to go up to fast to be real temperature.
get the daignostic on to it.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Maybe some of you guys have some dodgy tune on ur cars from a pre-owner..........

Bad settings will cause the car to knock and mass heat quicky...... Just seems too much of commonly odd problem. I'd probably recommend you take your car to eagers and have them do a factory update over the ecu as well just incase. I know for a fact theres big differences between 04/05 models and 06 models with their stock tunes.

Example: 04/05's run generally the same all the time....... and are slightly more powerful then an 06 if u got the air to back it up (eg highway) ......... where as the 06's are really designed more around temperatures, and thus are alot faster then a 04/05 model at night.

-=-

Ignore my jibbering........... I'm just saying, it could be a dodgy tune. When u throw it out u can easily heat a car any number of ways.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
I have a flat tyre, im sure it tune related

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Hey Mate, im having the same issues with my VZ SV6 and im also from adelaide, I have replaced the radiator and pump and again, the temp guage raced up to red, and sat there for a sec, and then "click" it comes back down to normal running temp once I pop the cap. At first thought it may have air locks, but now I have noticed a coolant residue running down the gearbox/Engine Join(check yours). First thought was head gasket, but Holden's believe it is the thermostat housing and gasket leaking. Getting fixed tomorrow. Will let you know if it fixes it. I would hope that after only 130,000kms it wouldn't have a blown gasket!!!!!!

It will depend on how long it took you to notice the issues and replace the cap and pump.
It could be it took you too long and the gasket has already blown? Any leaks from below? Loss of coolant pressure?

Let us know how you go, seems like you won't be the only one having these problems once the Alloytec's hit the 120k+ mark.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
ha ha, Bigdaddycrap solves another mystery.. you should join the scooby doo sqaud, a tune will sort out there van issues i hear they have been having

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Had my coolant changed by the dealer recently. All pressure tests etc OK, no leaks.
After reading this thread, decided to unscrew the radiator cap. Found two small cracks moving into the grooved ring made by the radiator cap sealing against the radiator housing. I had not lost any coolant and the overflow tank reads correctly. The rubber gasket had distorted and become oversize and was fouling the side of the radiator housing, such that when the cap is removed the brittle rubber gasket starts to tear and crack. This is original cap - build Sept 2004 SV6. The rubber gasket is very stiff and feels almost brittle in some parts. This probably explains where folk have had the service and then overheating etc happens after the service - for no real reason. About 3-4 mm of the rubber seal had folded out and around the screw in part of the radiator cap. So the gasket had become thinner and more prone to cracking when unscrewing. Cheap fix for less than $25.00
Thanks guys for the heads up.