Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will I need a capacitor?

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
gday fellas I'm lay-bying a fusion bass pack with twin 12's. Just something that's been playing on my mind a little will I need a capacitor to avoid headlight dim? can you tell that I will need one just by looking at the subs or will I just need to wire it up and see how I go?

thats what Im getting.
FUSION Electronics ? Car and Marine Audio

any help or thoughts will be appreciated.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah mate, the subs themselves wont be much of an issue....more the actual amp that'll be powering them, as it pulls the current from your battery. The amp is 450wrms so its not going to put too much strain on the electrical system. If you do experience lights dimming just re-do your negative terminal to the body (replace or add on to the exisitng one) and add a cable from the neg. term. to the engine block. If you can just grab about a metre or two of 2-4AWG that should be plenty.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
so If it happens a thicker gauge wire from the negitive terminal to the body should do the trick? or the engine block?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Do both, you can either replace the stock neg. terminal to body wire or just add another wire to it (4AWG minimum) and also make up another cable from the neg. terminal to the engine block.

Its also worth upgrading the alternator charge wire while you at it.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I'd suggest adding to the earth of the battery. Makes it easier for current to get back. But if you only have enough wire to do one then do the battery to chassis! By doing the engine your asking for more current to go through the engine which could possibly make the transmission and engine less efficient.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i prefer to upgrade battery to chassis regardless, no point running 4awg pos if the chassis to battery is only 8 or 10awg, whatever size your positive power from your battery is, use at least that for battery to chassis. you power is only as good as your thinest wire :p

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
A bad example when thinking of electricity is water.

If you have a 90mm pipe going around a circuit and right at the end it shrinks to 26mm, then you can only as much water flowing around as the 26mm pipe will let through. So with electricity it's similar where the part that limits your current flow is the smallest wire in the circuit!