Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will I need a capacitor?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yes, definatly! Dont let that be the weak link and your amp not get as much power as it could! I did a VR a few days ago, all i did was add a 4 guage wire to it since there was a new 4 guage wire running to that amp! So it's got standard ground wires to battery as well as another 4 guage wire.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
just checked it then mate followed the negitive terminal cable and it broke into two. looked like one went to the alternator and the other went down to the block or near the extractors I couldnt really see.

TOX1K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
IF you got the Cash a Cap is a good safety option, along with a good battery (optima) you cant go wrong and you can leave it going for hours with out the battery dieing.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i dont think the OP really needs a deep cycle for his applications let alone a cap, but dont get me started on caps again :p
just ensure the wiring is up to scratch and you will be fine

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
As long as your alternator can prived enough power it wont dim. If they do you've got too much current drain, in which case you might want to think about a capactior [maybe a flux capacitor :p]. Or you might wanna check your alternator!

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
well lets just put it this way, my sub amp is 500WRMS yours will be 450WRMS, I dont get any headlight dim, I also run 250WRMS per side for my front stage (soon to 550WRMS per side :D )
although I am running 0awg from battery to distro in boot then 4awg to each of my 3 amps
I still think you will be fine

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
well when you put it that way, I think Ill be fine. :) just worried because of double subs and on a hard bass note I might get a bit

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
It all comes down to how much current your pulling out of the battery / electrical system. Speakers and or subs dont add to the current drain, amplifiers do.

As 2LOUD2OLD put it, he's running 1000wrms of amplifiers in basically the exact same car and hasnt got any problems.

If you do get dimming, upgrade the earth to chassis wire with 4AWG.