Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
And by the way, a turbo / supercharger is not a technological advancement, nor is dynamic effective displacement a radical improvement over straight up larger effective displacement. Then that’s a whole other story, history.
So stop with the technology koolaid spewed forth, it is disgusting.
Come off it mate, with enough R&D, forced induction will be way more advanced then any NA application. Take a look at the new F1 1.6L turbo engines making the same power as the last v10 era engines and using nearly half the fuel load. Efficient much? Thats a radical improvement if I've ever seen one!

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
On paper the LS3 has 304kw and they run up 220-230rwkw on the dyno Stinger makes around 230rwkw with only 272kw looks as if their under quoting power no's and shows on the 1/4 mile trapping slightly higher.
Ford did the same with the FG turbo's & supercharged V8.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
On paper the LS3 has 304kw and they run up 220-230rwkw on the dyno Stinger makes around 230rwkw with only 272kw looks as if their under quoting power no's and shows on the 1/4 mile trapping slightly higher.
Ford did the same with the FG turbo's & supercharged V8.
Just a more efficient driveline. Didn't ford have an overboost function that when all the stars aligned would deliver an extra 40kw or something?

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Yeah that 6spd auto must suck some power.
Ford did have overboost function, my F6 made 278rwkw stock thats gotta be 340 at the engine and only advertised at 310.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Gotta remember that the last 2 years of the LS3's were detuned to comply with Euro 5 emissions...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Gotta remember that the last 2 years of the LS3's were detuned to comply with Euro 5 emissions...
Doesn’t mean it has less than the advertised VF2 power & torque; it’s probably the main reason it wasn’t around the 317kW mark of the base HSV engine, though.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I didn't know that. It certainly has bucket loads of additional power and torque with bolt on's and a tune. Even then, a wonderfully underdressed engine. One that is able to lug around a +1.8t car with ease. Same with my tuned L77. Not so much as raising a sweat. Throw a 2t boat and trailer on the back. Five people and gear. Still no sweat. I do this often.
I think in general most people are ignorant to the amount of new technology in say an LS3.
It's easy to call it a dinosaur. Large capacity NA pushrod V8. But, it is packed full of technological advancements. Try doing the above in a Swinger. Even a Ford Ranger. My mates auto Ranger uses more diesel towing his lighter boat, than my Redline uses fuel, towing my heavier boat. It runs out of brakes on the montain too. Over rated POS in my opinion. My diesel Territory was the same. Although it seemed to have better economy than the ranger. Anyway, back to the Swinger...That's the main reason I'll never own one. Because it will not do what I need it to do, anywhere near as capably as any of our Family's V8 Commodores. Probably not even as well as the V6's.
Sorry for tangentialy hijacking your comment Imoengnr!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
No one would be buying a Stinger as a tow vehicle, doesn't have the capability...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Come off it mate, with enough R&D, forced induction will be way more advanced then any NA application. Take a look at the new F1 1.6L turbo engines making the same power as the last v10 era engines and using nearly half the fuel load. Efficient much? Thats a radical improvement if I've ever seen one!
That’s buckshit. Shows what you know about engineering and technology. Stop polluting the Holden threads with **** about turbos being more advanced. It just isn’t true.
Formula is a formula.
The most advanced engine I know of by far is Naturally Aspirated, Mazda Spark Controlled Compression ignition is about the bleeding edge.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
That’s buckshit. Shows what you know about engineering and technology. Stop polluting the Holden threads with **** about turbos being more advanced. It just isn’t true.
Buckshit? Its a fact mate. And also reaching 50% thermal efficiency on the new gen F1 engine isn't a technological advancement? All that R&D will eventually have a flow on effect as consumers want more power and efficiency. More so in the aftermarket world.

NA ls3 yeah great engine. Play around with power delivery and other variables untill you reach a certain point, lets say ~500rwhp. Then where do you turn to? Thats where we bring in our good old friend "boost" to spice things up.

Last edited: