Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will our machines be saved from the electric wave ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Tesla?.. electric?

naaah... dumb! :p

Attachments

• 1617101031605.png
    1617101031605.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Ev is just stepping stone to splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen for clean burn.

They just need to master splitting the water at the last millisecond so no large amount of hydrogen ever exists cancelling the explosion potential of hydrogen cars.

Ev is not the holy grail.

It's another turd sandwhich.

Just look at all the smug coal powered bicycles getting around now.

I don't know if it's ironic or stupid that you bag coal powered bicycles and promote hydrogen which is predominantly produced by natural gas processing and electricity. You're right on the smug though, my solar, wind and geothermal charged eBikes have carried me a combined total of 8000kms that I didn't use my 20L/100km car for.....

What's with the EV chip on your shoulder?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just this moment I've realized cycling is bad for the environment. When you cycle (a traditional bike) you expend energy so you have to eat more which means you fart more and pollute the environment. Damn, no more cycling for me....

Auckland City council just unveiled it's first hydrogen powered bus yesterday.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just this moment I've realized cycling is bad for the environment. When you cycle (a traditional bike) you expend energy so you have to eat more which means you fart more and pollute the environment. Damn, no more cycling for me....

Auckland City council just unveiled it's first hydrogen powered bus yesterday.

My manager used to work for Transport Canberra he was telling me yesterday that they're getting hydrogen buses eventually. He also said the natural gas buses need their carbon fibre tanks replaced every 15 years (it's meant to be ten but exemptions) at $100,000 a tank.
Also they need a special high flow filling system at the depot.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
My manager used to work for Transport Canberra he was telling me yesterday that they're getting hydrogen buses eventually. He also said the natural gas buses need their carbon fibre tanks replaced every 15 years (it's meant to be ten but exemptions) at $100,000 a tank.
Also they need a special high flow filling system at the depot.

.. sounds like any cure may be worse than the disease :mad:

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
.. sounds like any cure may be worse than the disease :mad:

Honestly, the future isn't EVs, it's getting as many people working from home as possible.

The large bulk of people use their cars to get to and from work, and with so much office work being done on computers these days, and with the internet getting better (at least in other countries, smh) it'll mean that more and more businesses will shift to a working from home model. There's only so much wage-cutting you can do as a business before you shoot yourself in the foot, so the only way to cut down costs is to stop renting a massive office building. I mean, if you know anything you know how bloody expensive it is to rent an office building.

A lot of American tech companies are pissing off out of California for that reason. High state taxes, high cost of living, a huge homeless problem brought on by the pandemic, coupled with high rental costs is causing a mass exodus from that city to states like Arizona and Nevada. Why rent an expensive, massive office when the bulk of your workforce can live somewhere nice and work remotely? It also makes your company look really good seeing as you don't have 5,000 workers stuck in traffic, burning fuel on the highways every day.

I tried WFH and honestly I got a lot more done because I didn't have to burn a good hour of my day getting ready. I could just rock up to my desk in my PJs and get all my work done in half a day. Also meant that in my idle time (while I was waiting for other people to get back to me) I could get stuff done around the house.

For others however the limiting factor isn't cars, it's trucks, chargers and charging tech. Wendover Productions (look him up, he's pretty awesome) did an awesome video on this. Current-day EV cars can do the range already that most customers want, it's just the lack of chargers available, as well as a non-standard plug in America. Like, we could go to any servo, and know that the nozzle is going to fit our fuel filler as it's a standard across the auto industry, but in the US at least there's like three different charge plugs. I know we've solved that in Australia where all EVs have to have CCS plugs installed, but Australia suffers even more from the lack of charging infrastructure due to the lack of uptake.

To be honest though, once they crack getting say, 1000km range in a dual cab ute, for less than $50k, and then back it up with a fully comprehensive charging network and decent charging tech, You bet your bottom dollar every man and his 2.2 kids would eat that **** up. Why? Because tradies. You cannot deny that tradies will always exist to some degree as houses will always need to be built and homes always need to be maintained, so you need to make your vehicles fit their needs. The dual-cab ute fits the bill just nicely for the bulk of people, why do you think it's so popular?

To re-iterate, the future for the bulk of people isn't EVs, it's eliminating the concept of the commute altogether for as many people as possible. For those who can't eliminate the commute? Get those people into EVs. The rest can take the damn train.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ completely agree.

My missus has worked from home a fair bit since all this covid ****. Saves time and money on traveling and she gets more done than when she's in the office. Her boss is an ass though and is demanding they all go into the office every day... With March madness on our motorways that's and 1 hour plus trip each way. What a waste of time and petrol!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
**** if I worked from home I'll be 6 deep in a case of carlton from lunch to 5.