Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will these upgrades make it to Oz?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
It would seem that the 2011 3.6 SIDI Camaro will be retuned to 232kw/377Nm...will we see this sort of upgrade in the Commodore? Will it be a software update that might be backwards compatible for MY10 SIDI?

Popped some Sports Ryder coils (stage1) on today. Part no's 2956 and 2957...think I've been a bit too conservative as only dropped it about 25mm front and back. Feels nice to drive though.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
The Camaro has always had a higher output (Previously 227kw) so I doubt it. At the end of the day, Holden want to make more money so they keep the power gap between V6's and V8's large considering the V8 engine undeniably costs less and they get away with charging a lot more for a car that cost the same or less to make.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Completely agree. Holden won't risk killing off the V8 like Ford has. They will maintain a large enough gap between the two to keep sales of both high. What I would like to see would be a direct injection V8 come out in the near future. Push the envelope in both camps whilst reigning in emissions.

I'd just be sitting tight for the SIDI tune to be released. It IS being worked on. Can't be far off now.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Not Direct Injected V8...how about a supercharged 414kw/747Nm HSV? Seems that is what is being tested in the Camaro in the US at the moment and may well be heading our way as well.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Yeah supercharging is nice - but it's still bolted onto what is basically an old motor. I'm thinking new generation V8s - not necessarily the same sort of thing that the germans produce but a highly efficient variation - by efficient, I mean in terms of power delivery as well as fuel economy.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
YES! That's what I mean! Holden would be mad not to jump on that as soon as it's released, and with the weight holden now seems to carry in the GM world, I'd be surprised if GM corporate didn't attempt to enforce it! It just makes sense! Especially with the looming carbon tax which we'll be adopting depending which way everything goes on Saturday! But high-revving, exceedingly torquey, direct injection V8 would be something else in a commodore! Fingers crossed!

YATSIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EQUIP
haha, yea i figured you would be happy to see that tin snips! i was too when i saw it, pitty we have to wait that long...however when they do bring it in i wonder if the gap will be wide enough then for a supercharged 6, would be very interesting to see the figures when they are released.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Well that would definitely make sense. If they get enough torque out of the V8, then we could really see some separation between the models. I'm thinking SIDI for omega, berlena etc, supercharged V6 for SV6/V6 Calais/Statesman and Direct Injection V8 for SS/V8 Calais/Caprice. I'd like to see them keep the 6.0L capacity - it just sounds nice! That 600Nm that FPV reckon they can get out of the coyote motor would be nice - especially since the GM motor would be a naturally aspirated V8! Really interested in this! It would give the V8 a whole new lease on life!

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
There will be a new DI V8 but it's unlikely to be anything more than a very minor power increase since all the DOHC LSx replacement projects got canned. The problem is that people keep buying them because they go OK and sound tuff and there are so many aftermarket parts available, making it very hard for things to move forward.