Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will this go away

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Just got my brake discs machined and this is the wear pattern after a week....what do you reckon has happened here? the car has a bit of a on/off feel as it nearly comes to a complete stop...will it go away or should I go back and show the blokes who did the machine job?

brakes_zps339c5c3c.jpg
WTF

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Is your caliper tight? It almost looks like the pad is shuddering.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
After machining that pattern was in the disc before I even put it on the car...thought it was a bit strange but it felt even and I thought the slight highs and lows would be worn off in the bedding in of the pads but so far it hasnt.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The disc shouldnt have any high or low spots after machining, and if it has, even slight ones, the pads wont wear them down as they bed in , the pad will wear to the shape of the disc.. Ive always found that after discs have been machined, they dont perform anywhere near as good as new ones, and brand new discs are that cheap these days, theres really no need to bother wasting money machining old ones.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Geez Marko I didn't think we'd be able to tell you anything about brakes. I'm certainly no expert but it looks like a pretty dodgy machining job to me. Difficulty is that I'd be reluctant to trust a mob that can't get that right the first time. Still, I'd go back and ask the question and see what they say. It's the pits having to re-visit a job cos it hasn't been done right the first time.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
I used to machine disks a few years back, this on off feeling you describe is typical of a disk incorrectly machined with runout, my guess is there was some crap between the machine where it was mounted to the disk, this would cause it to cut the disk slightly out of round & due to some movment between the machine & disk cause the machines cutters to shudder causing this pattern. Take them back it is not a good job.