Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

winding back dash cluster

rk has a vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Vn sedan early model
Sweet cuz I don't want to put one in with like 300000 km on it that would be gay

i think technically if your not an accredited business that does it professionally its illegal for you even to open your cluster... and rolling back your odometer is illegal even if its just to represent actual k's on your car.... whats the problem with your original one? cause it might be an easy fix with out messing with with odometer of another one... soldering the voltage regulator board and putting a new odometer cog pretty much fixes most problems on these...

My taco died yesterday and it has gremlins

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My cars done 134 000 km and I want a new dash and I will wind it to how many it's done not any lower

I can't see that being illegal if you are setting the odo to reflect what the car has actually done.

Reaper

rk has a vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Vn sedan early model

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
FFS, just answer him. Get a needle stick it on the little legs on each number wheel from the front and carefully turn them. They'll click down fairly easily.

im scared to post anything potentially illegal. last time i did i had a nice couple of messages in my inbox and some posts deleted.... i dont even bother now...

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
by clickin the legs on each number m i take it then u can adjust each number to show ur correct odometer ready.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
I can't see that being illegal if you are setting the odo to reflect what the car has actually done.

Reaper

From what I can find its not illegal to change the odometer to reflect the true kms of the car. However if it is done fraudulently its a $10 000 fine.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Put a new cluster in my VE recently. Was having a few probs reprogramming it, so I rang Holden. They apparently can't adjust the odo, but I'd done that bit and told them so, I was just looking how much they'd charge to reprogram the other bits to get it fully working. They didn't blink about me having changed it (as I wasn't selling it and it was a correction) and were happy to do the rest of the work. From my understanding it was Holden themselves that removed the easy OBD2 ability to change the odo, not any laws. Oh and I actually added kms, but they didn't know that. They didn't blink either when they told me the crazy price and I said "no thanks, I'll figure it out" (something like $160 to press a few buttons on a tech2 and wouldn't guarantee it'd work either). I mean it isn't illegal to put a brand new odo in yourself (or they couldn't sell you one). That'd read zero kms. Like Demonica says, it's the fraudulent use of that ability being the issue, and you'd deserve the fine.

Edit: Oh yeah vrbloke - yeah, easy as. If you're old enough to remember tape players, they had the same little counter. Easy as to move manually. Haven't done it to a cluster, but remember doing it to tape players.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
in my other daily vp, i used a second hand cluster that had less k's then what the car did. the original one stopped at 240 and the owner said it had probably did about 300+. so i rolled my second hand one to 300 to better represent what the car had done. just in case one day i decide to sell, i dont want to dupe the next bloke into thinking it had done less... against the law yeah, but the car did significantly more than what was on the stock cluster.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the tech 2 for newer commodores will not allow odo reset's once the car has done 100Km's, was to stop dealer being dodgy and winding speedo's back i believe (but seriously, who wouldn't trust a used car salesman?)

Regarding km's of a vehicle, in Victoria VicRoads takes note of the km's a car has on it from the roadworthy and looking at the car when registering (may be the same for other states), if you're really concerned about buying a 2nd hand car ask them how many km's it was last registered with....

Last edited: