Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows fogging up on sunny day.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Lately it has been pretty cold overnight, then sunny during the day. I have had a lot of trouble with the windows fogging up and I thought maybe the boot was leaking. Now I have a different theory.

Overnight the gas tank gets as cold as the rest of the car, and when you go for a drive during the say the now warmer air flows through the car and exits through the boot but on it's way through it flows over the still stone-cold tank. (takes a long time to warm up, especially when full) This causes LOTS of drops of water to condense on the tank and it is really wet, just like the outside of a glass of cold beer on a hot day. Later, if the car is parked in the sun, this moisture evaporates into the car and finds it's way onto the windows.

Could we have a show of hands for with/without gas tank and with/without foggy windows to see if there is any correlation.

BTW, I know the problem you get when you are taking vapour from the tank and not liquid and how this makes the tank go cold and moist; it's not that.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I have a third theory.

Heater Core.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
heater core or leaky quarter windows. i just put in a new heater core couple months back so i know its not that. today i had to use a squeegee on the windscreen and back window to clear the condensation. ive actually seen water drip on my back seats from the quarter window while its raining... another on the to do list...

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Foggy all round without gas.

just the conditions lately, if ur in VIC its the same then :)
Yeah, in Melbourne.

I'm really hoping my heater core stays okay. Fixing that makes fiddling with the distributor look easy.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
My lpg tank in the boot and it got condensation but I noticed the left rear 1/4 window had a small leak. Fixed that problem the other day and sealed it but I have not checked the tank since then..

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
No LPG and i only get foggy windows when it rains, its better now that i have fixed most of the water leaks :p

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Mate you're in Melbourne.

How's the weather been? shite, of course.
How old is your car?
How many K's on the clock?
Lived inside or outside for it's life?

All these suggest to me you have water ingress.
Windscreen seals?
Door seals?
Boot?
Floor grommets?
Firewall?

Windows only fog up if the interior is damp. Find the leak.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Definitely do those rear QTR panel windows, while your fixing them check the rear windscreen seals from within as leaks from roof create rust along the inside edges over time. Mudgy is onto it with the boot & floor grommets plus all the seals (check spare tyre well too). I've fixed all those issues one by one over the last 2 years & VP-S now water tight & no fog!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Fixed my leaky right rear 1/4 window and now water tight. Just the spare tire well that needs lovin. LPG tank is dry again :)