Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Statesman v6 3rd and drive causing neutral

WL-Statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
THIS ENGINE IS THE SAME AS VY *edit. so i went around a corner the car made a clunk and went neutral in drive hit it in 2nd took off.
i cant take off in 3rd and DRIVE it is like neutral. i can take off in 1st and 2nd when i get to like 60 i can get in 3rd and keep going.
than put into drive and its neutral most probably because i didnt go over 70 km/h.
but when i slow down e.g to turn into a street in 3rd it goes neutral and gotta drop it back into 2nd.
if i try take off in 3rd its neutral. park reverse neutral 2nd and 1st work fine, cant start the car in D or 3rd so my gear selector is working fine i assume.
my fluid is topped up. anyone had the same problem ?
i myself and thinking electrical fault but not sure what to check out.
3 weeks ago i replaced the 3&6 ignition coil due to making the car shudder like a tractor.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
THIS ENGINE IS THE SAME AS VY *edit. so i went around a corner the car made a clunk and went neutral in drive hit it in 2nd took off.
i cant take off in 3rd and DRIVE it is like neutral. i can take off in 1st and 2nd when i get to like 60 i can get in 3rd and keep going.
than put into drive and its neutral most probably because i didnt go over 70 km/h.
but when i slow down e.g to turn into a street in 3rd it goes neutral and gotta drop it back into 2nd.
if i try take off in 3rd its neutral. park reverse neutral 2nd and 1st work fine, cant start the car in D or 3rd so my gear selector is working fine i assume.
my fluid is topped up. anyone had the same problem ?
i myself and thinking electrical fault but not sure what to check out.
3 weeks ago i replaced the 3&6 ignition coil due to making the car shudder like a tractor.

Hmm that's strange.
It can't be the same engine as the VY if it's a WL.
WL have the 190 alloytec.
Is it an 8?

Maybe the gear selector surround isn't the correct one for this car or it isn't positioned correctly. Just a suggestion.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
You probably should have replaced the coil pack(3 coils and the DFI module),would have been only a few more $'s than 2 coils.We've all been there and learned the hard way.Firstly then,replace the other coil.Hopefully that'll be enough but even before you do that have a look on line,or go to the Holmart site and check out the price of a new genuine coil pack.....Good luck.

WL-Statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
Hmm that's strange.
It can't be the same engine as the VY if it's a WL.
WL have the 190 alloytec.
Is it an 8?

Maybe the gear selector surround isn't the correct one for this car or it isn't positioned correctly. Just a suggestion.

well its WK or WL and not alloytec 190 i can guarantee that its the ecotec. other than that, gear selector and surround worked fine for me for past 30,000+km and is accurate with what i had in my old VY.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I should have included plugs and leads.These gearboxes are really sensitive to engine tune.200,000km ago every man and his dog told me that my tranny was rs.I read a thread on this forum,thought what the heck,replaced the coil pack,plugs and leads and!!!!! Still drives like new. These are general service items so if they don't fix it you'll use them in the future.

WL-Statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
i replaced one coil the 3-6 the leads and all plugs. i guess gotta get 2 new coils and the DFI module is just the black strip the 3 coils are attached to right? ill tell you how i go when i do that i can only hope it works if not back to holden $120 p/hr for diagnosis.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I'd be reluctant to throw $120 p/hr to a Holden dealer too.If you've already replaced plugs and leads and 1 coil perhaps you could borrow a coil pack from a mate's car (VS to VY are the same).If not be aware that you don't have to pay GMH recommended retail for a coil pack.A few of the on line stores that sell the genuine coil packs are based in Vic so you may be able to get a really speedy delivery and from memory you shouldn't have to pay more than around $220.Holmart,I think are around $250 and I don't know if you have Bursons Spares stores in Vic but I think that they're around $365.All less than GMH.Just be careful,there a quite a few really cheap coil packs on line but they're second hand.

brodster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv wagon
IT Sounds like your ato shift modules are playing up. pay someone to plug in and read the codes.

WL-Statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
ok so from all the reading over a few days from every website i could find on google....... i think the car has gone into limp mode but there has been no message to state this, and now when i start the car theres a bit of a whine that sounds like it is coming from my alternator, does this happen to be the reason for the car driving like a gutless sack, it seems if i rev it up too hard in 1st and 2nd it neutralises???? help appreciated