Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM do i have sports or not sports suspension

TPatS

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me identify which suspension setup I have. I recently got a 2010 WM Statesman which has a LSD at the back. Reviews say that the Statesman came with a softer suspension tune while the Caprice came with a firmer 'sports' tune. But what confuses me is that the brochure for the WM Statesman/Caprice states that the LSD is only available on the sports suspension tune. The ride of the Statesman is comfortable and supple which leans me towards that I have the comfort setup but I have not driven the Caprice so I can't really compare it. Is there any way to check which setup I have? Thanks

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Might have the suspension on the build plate like the ss has.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me identify which suspension setup I have. I recently got a 2010 WM Statesman which has a LSD at the back. Reviews say that the Statesman came with a softer suspension tune while the Caprice came with a firmer 'sports' tune. But what confuses me is that the brochure for the WM Statesman/Caprice states that the LSD is only available on the sports suspension tune. The ride of the Statesman is comfortable and supple which leans me towards that I have the comfort setup but I have not driven the Caprice so I can't really compare it. Is there any way to check which setup I have? Thanks
Is it a V8 coz V8s have LSD?

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Is it a V8 coz V8s have a LSD? Thought I would tell you twice.

Last edited:

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
The type of suspension can be found stamped on the identification plate tucked behind the air box in the engine bay.

My 2006 Calais shows "SUSP FE2" on the silver placard - indicating sports suspension at factory

Normal "FE1" suspension is listed as "SUSP STD"

TPatS

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
The type of suspension can be found stamped on the identification plate tucked behind the air box in the engine bay.

My 2006 Calais shows "SUSP FE2" on the silver placard - indicating sports suspension at factory

Normal "FE1" suspension is listed as "SUSP STD"
Thanks a lot for this! I'll go check the plate as soon as I have time.

TPatS

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
I checked my build plate and the SUSP field does indeed say STD. But what is interesting is that I had a look at a WM caprice at a local dealer and the build plate on that also says STD even though it has a firmer tune.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
With the advent of the WM models, Holden tried to make the Caprice equivalent to the sporty European cars and left the Statesman as the luxo barge. So the Caprice received a version of the sports suspension that was somewhere between the normal mode and the FE2.
I have an 07 V8 Caprice, had it since 09. It has effectively FE 1.5 suspension (ie, firmer than standard but softer than FE2). It also has STD on the plate (so STD for a WM Caprice is FE1.5).
It has an open end diff. When I asked about the diff, I was informed that the Caprice's didn't get LSD as they were sold to a different type of buyer than the sports orientated models and therefore didn't need one. They reckoned that the traction control served as a pseudo LSD.
Originally, the ride was noticeably firmer than a normal car. Once the shockies wore out, I replaced then with Koni's and haven't looked back.
If your statesman is standard, it will have the normal base suspension.

TPatS

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
With the advent of the WM models, Holden tried to make the Caprice equivalent to the sporty European cars and left the Statesman as the luxo barge. So the Caprice received a version of the sports suspension that was somewhere between the normal mode and the FE2.
I have an 07 V8 Caprice, had it since 09. It has effectively FE 1.5 suspension (ie, firmer than standard but softer than FE2). It also has STD on the plate (so STD for a WM Caprice is FE1.5).
It has an open end diff. When I asked about the diff, I was informed that the Caprice's didn't get LSD as they were sold to a different type of buyer than the sports orientated models and therefore didn't need one. They reckoned that the traction control served as a pseudo LSD.
Originally, the ride was noticeably firmer than a normal car. Once the shockies wore out, I replaced then with Koni's and haven't looked back.
If your statesman is standard, it will have the normal base suspension.
Thanks for the excellent write up there mate. On another point, if my shocks do go in a year or two. Do you guys happen to know any good quality aftermarket shocks that will deliver the soft supple ride that my statesman has.