Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wm no crank no fuel pump

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
The attached file from the Holden VE Service manual should help you further understand the problem you are facing.
Thanks mate that explains alot

However that last paragraph how it mentions the immobilizer light on the dash, there's no light on the dash when I try start the car so based of what the roadside assistance bloke said, it may be an engine harness issue.

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
Update:

Got the ecm cloned and made no difference.

Then purchased a used but matching ecm, bcm, key reader, key fob and a few other electrical components/modules from an other wm series 1 ly7 5l40e (exact same spec car and same component part numbers as mine) and got the car cranking

The battery is on charge as it was pretty flat from the car just sitting so will see if it fires tomorrow morning. **fingers crossed**

Just to over complicate things a little further lol:

the car is running the entire key ignition/key reader etc from the donor car, can I return that back to the origional one (so I can run the origional key), but just change over the electronics to the new key reader and new key fob (so I don't have to carry 2x different keys - I didn't get the drivers door lock from the donor car)...If that makes sense?..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Update:

Got the ecm cloned and made no difference.

Then purchased a used but matching ecm, bcm, key reader, key fob and a few other electrical components/modules from an other wm series 1 ly7 5l40e (exact same spec car and same component part numbers as mine) and got the car cranking

The battery is on charge as it was pretty flat from the car just sitting so will see if it fires tomorrow morning. **fingers crossed**

Just to over complicate things a little further lol:

the car is running the entire key ignition/key reader etc from the donor car, can I return that back to the origional one (so I can run the origional key), but just change over the electronics to the new key reader and new key fob (so I don't have to carry 2x different keys - I didn't get the drivers door lock from the donor car)...If that makes sense?..
You need to get the key blade out. Thats all. Within the key body is an embedded transponder. It is separate to the circuit board etc.
You need to keep the donor key head/body and put your existing key blade in.

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
You need to get the key blade out. Thats all. Within the key body is an embedded transponder. It is separate to the circuit board etc.
You need to keep the donor key head/body and put your existing key blade in.
That won't work with how it is currently setup I don't think:

Car is running new ignition key barrel, new transponder ring, new key, new keyfob

New key doesn't match lock in door, I don't have the door lock off the donor car.

I've taken a pic to explain better but this forum says image is too large.

Can I reinstall old key barrel (but keep new transponder etc), and add old key to new key fob?..

Sounds like that should work, unless there's some electronic components in the key barrel I've overlooked?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

This shows more detail than you need. You won’t be replacing the transponder. Leave it. Just get the roll pin out holding the blade in. Simply use this video as a guide getting it disassembled and assembled.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no need for the ignition barrel to be changed from the original. There is no electronics in it. It’s just a regular lock.

You disassemble the key, remove the blade and replace it with your existing blade.

You have the replacement key head with your old key blade in it.

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
That won't work with how it is currently setup I don't think:

Car is running new ignition key barrel, new transponder ring, new key, new keyfob

New key doesn't match lock in door, I don't have the door lock off the donor car.

I've taken a pic to explain better but this forum says image is too large.

Can I reinstall old key barrel (but keep new transponder etc), and add old key to new key fob?..

Sounds like that should work, unless there's some electronic components in the key barrel I've overlooked?
Old key that suits the old door lock, isn't compatable with new key barrell
There is no need for the ignition barrel to be changed from the original. There is no electronics in it. It’s just a regular lock.

You disassemble the key, remove the blade and replace it with your existing blade.

You have the replacement key head with your old key blade in it.
Alright sweet, I think I missread what you said in your previous comment.

Want to know something crazy, so the origional key fob was falling apart (held together with masking tape) so I replaced the outer plastic section with a new one..

.. that youtube video you uploaded, the guy mentions a chip in the keyhead that looks like a rectangular magnet.

I assumed it was just a magnet and ran the new plastic piece that chip is contained in.

That may actually explain the initial no crank issue hahaha.. im going to play around this arvo.

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
That's the magnet looking piece I'm referring to

Attachments

• 20231202_155141.jpg
    20231202_155141.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 49

Commos4lyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
3xVH 2xVL 1xVS 1xWM
Swapped that transponder thing over and made no difference.. all good anyway, atleast it turns over now

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You put the original lock/barrel back in. There is no need to swap it.

Then your key works in the ignition and in the door just as it always has.

You disassemble the key head. Remove the donor key blade.
Fit your original key blade to the donor key head.

You need to use the donor key head because you need the transponder that is embedded in it. The transponder is coded to the key reader.