Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN HVAC Controls not responding

LEOTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 WN Caprice
G'evening everyone.
My brother's 2015 WN Caprice had a service at a local mechanic. The mechanic reported that during the service that the Air Conditioner was not working and that the Air Con module needed to be replaced. The Mechanic replaced the AC Module.

Certain functions of the HVAC controls now do not operate.

The dial that controls the fan speed does not chnage the fan speed. The display indicates that the fan is constantly at Level-2.
When you push the fan speed dial to tun the fan off, it does not turn off. The fans are always blowing and the display says the fans are at level-2.

The 'Auto' and 'Zone" buttons on the two temperature dials do not work

The face vent, face and feet vent, and feet vent buttons can all be iluminated at the same time. The display image for the vent selection and the vent selection button that has been pushed do not correlate. If you push the button to direct the air to your face, the display indicates the vents for feet and windscreen are selected.

The mechanic indicated that the HVAC module may need to be calibrated by a Dealer Technician. The next step will be to take the car to the Dealer and have it checked over if we don't have any luck solving the problem through this foum.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards, Tony

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Find a better mechanic.

LEOTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 WN Caprice
Cheers mate. Here's to hoping a good Mechanic is in this foum and can say, 'yeah mate, the module still needs a factory calibrate when it is replaced and can be done at home by pressing buttons A, B and C together at the same time, but if that doesn't work, the next step is to take it to a Dealership. But anyway, thanks again for the comment. Apparently it's not that common a problem.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
There is no calibration required according to the workshop manual - the first step of troubleshooting if the controls are not working is:
"verify every applicable scan tool switch parameter changes when pressing the appropriate switch on the Radio/HVAC controls"

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The Mechanic replaced the AC Module.
The aircon module, the bit on the dash with buttons and dials need to be programmed. Most of the Commodore programs are the same but a Caprice may be a different program with a conflict if it was replaced with a Commodore programmed module. If the module was "brand new", it won't work until programmed with the GM software for that particular Caprice VIN.

Aircon modules are prone to blowing with low or erratic battery voltage like trying to start a car with a near flat battery and jump starting them with leads that aren't surge protected.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The aircon module, the bit on the dash with buttons and dials need to be programmed. Most of the Commodore programs are the same but a Caprice may be a different program with a conflict if it was replaced with a Commodore programmed module. If the module was "brand new", it won't work until programmed with the GM software for that particular Caprice VIN.
Strange, the workshop manual doesnt have such an instruction!

LEOTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 WN Caprice
Thanks RevNev and dassaur. We've booked it in to a Holden Dealership in two weeks time. The thought that a Commodore HVAC module might be different to the Caprice module is a good thought. I will update the forum once the problem is solved.

I appreciate the comments. Cheers.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Strange, the workshop manual doesnt have such an instruction!
The module is in the GM SPS2 programming.

I blew one in my old Gen-F R8 trying to jump start the car with a weak jumper pack in 2018. I took it to the local Holden dealer who wasn't an HSV dealer, and they had to get written permission in an email from HSV to program the new module and delayed the job until the next day. It was $420 to supply and program the new module 3 months out of warranty.

LEOTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 WN Caprice
G'evening RevNev and Dassaur. My brother had the Holden Dealer look at the AirCon control issue. Apparently they did an update on the module and the car is working perfectly again. Unfortunately I don't have any further information the service work. Thanks for your input. Best regards.