Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Won't Start- Replaced everything

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
would never buy a car part from ebay
Why half of them are decent I've brought plenty of cheap parts from repco that didn't last. Why do mechanics say that when they wont warranty the rubbish they supply and wont install the rubbish I supply? When the part the mechanic fits fails with in 3 months he wouldn't fit the part I gave him should he warranty the part he supplied free of charge? The 20% mark up?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** yes, if he supplied/fitted it he should warranty it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
ebay is full of chinese counterfeit parts
Why half of them are decent I've brought plenty of cheap parts from repco that didn't last. Why do mechanics say that when they wont warranty the rubbish they supply and wont install the rubbish I supply? When the part the mechanic fits fails with in 3 months he wouldn't fit the part I gave him should he warranty the part he supplied free of charge? The 20% mark up?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Says on the packets of parts, warranty void if not fitted by qualified person.(Or something along those lines) Read the packet...

So if you're going to a shop and they claim they won't warrant parts they supply and fit, they're B/Sing you.....

And yes, not warranting parts you supply is because when a claim is made against faulty parts, the supplier only covers the cost of the parts, not the labour...So the cheaper price they get the parts for goes a little way to cover the labour costs if they fail...

Very rarely (if ever) does a customer cover the cost of the labour if their supplied parts fail.....That's why businesses don't want to fit parts you supply

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The majority of things of I've brought at repco this year were made in china . every-time I work on a car it becomes more Chinese these days. Whats the difference? Where are GMB water pumps made?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The majority of things of I've brought at repco this year were made in china . every-time I work on a car it becomes more Chinese these days. Whats the difference? Where are GMB water pumps made?

Where they're made is one thing....Having the warranty is another....And written on boxes and packages state warranty is only accepted when fitted by a qualified mechanic (or words to that effect)

Workshops won't (the majority if not all) fit your supplied parts as you won't pay 2 lot of labour to have them fitted.....Workshops only get replacement parts supplied for warranty work....They don't get paid the labour to fit those new warranty supplied parts...

When you start getting a influx of crap parts supplied that come back for warranty work, workshops will go for another brand as the crap parts they fit reflect on them....

That being said, there are cases where you fit parts yourself and not be qualified and still get a warranty on it for being faulty....

jones262

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Update - it still won't go!

The fried wires was due to a generic 'engine' relay. Didn't realise Holden has reverse polarity relays lol...

Anyway it's taken me this long just to get motivated enough to do the wiring and now I'm back to square 1 of trying to get it to run.

I got a new engine loom just in case, so I'm gonna fit that on the weekend. Also got a stock fuel pump to try incase the big pump is giving me trouble for some reason