Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worn out Ecotec's

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Spinning wheels in a live axel V6 isnt a sign of good power, its a sign of poor traction.

Id put a second hand engine in there and some new tyres, then sell your old engine to get back some of the cash

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Spinning wheels in a live axel V6 isnt a sign of good power, its a sign of poor traction.

I never said it was... if you read what i said, it was because it was live axle, not because the ecotec has more power... my reference to the ecotec having more power was implying that it would spin a live axle wheel easier than a buick.

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
lossing traction in a non irs and in a irs is not the point, its the driver regardless of irs i know with mine its IRS/ABS and i can spin like crazy in the wet forget it, its all over the place from gutter to gutter.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I never said it was... if you read what i said, it was because it was live axle, not because the ecotec has more power... my reference to the ecotec having more power was implying that it would spin a live axle wheel easier than a buick.

What are you talking about mate? I didnt quote you in my post and was in no way referring to anything you had said. In fact i hadnt even read your post when I replied.

I was referring to what the OP said. He seemed to be eluding to the fact that because there was still plenty of wheelspin, that the engine hadn't suffered from a significant decrease in power. That was my interpretation anyway.

A live axel open center diff could probably break into wheelspin off the mark even if the engine was down to 80-100 fwkw if it had rubbish tyres

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
there was a bloke on this forum whos got 700000+ out of his old ecotec, hes wreaking it now though, lol

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
seen the above mentioned car, think that was a typeO. Think its shy off 300,000. My VS has currantly 340,000kms....know for a fact its original motor and box. Both are fantastic, have abit of lifter noise and pinion noise from the diff.
Still put out good power and is smooth, I believe these motors if looked after and serviced properly 300000+kms is a easy ask

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen these ecotecs and buicks with 250,000-300,000km on the clock, show acceptable cylinder compression pressures when compression tested..Ive even seen some up around 400,000 with acceptable cylinder pressures..If the compression is ok,the engine should still still run ok,depending on the condition of the valves and their seats,and the condition of the rest of valve train components ..

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
old lady where im from has a VT olympic addition, shes the only owner ( and driver ) and it has 570, 000 km on it and it has never been rebuilt ( motor, box or diff ) does not blow smoke, and still runs and drives really well, just been serviced every 5,000km and not trashed ... maybe thats where we all go wrong lol