Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth amping all 4 channels?

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
'allo all,

I've been looking at changing over all four speakers in my VEII and amping them at the same time.

My audio guy says it's not really worth amping the rear speakers, as they will "compete with the front stage", and just running new ones off the headunit should suffice.
Is this true?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Plenty of reasons to amp the rears...

For starters... you just spent money on new speakers that are lower efficiency then what is already in the car. This in turn will reduce their output, especially the low end.

If your fronts have to compete with the rears..... get a new installer.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I agree with Tas. I've got both front and rears amped and can barely hear the rears. Just fade the music to the front a bit more and you should be fine.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
I agree with Tas. I've got both front and rears amped and can barely hear the rears. Just fade the music to the front a bit more and you should be fine.

I think Tas was for amping the rears, unless I've misunderstood him? I do have factory subs that I believe are run off the rear channel, so I wouldn't want to fade too much to the front.

Plenty of reasons to amp the rears...
For starters... you just spent money on new speakers that are lower efficiency then what is already in the car. This in turn will reduce their output, especially the low end.
If your fronts have to compete with the rears..... get a new installer.

What if I don't replace the rears?

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
The rear speakers are only really for people in the back, the don't add much to the front seat listening.

Don't replace the rears and spend the money on a good set of splits for the front and an amp. If you need more bass a sub and an amp in the boot is the way to go.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
either amp them both or remove the rears.

dont have have the front amped and the rears not amped.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
either amp them both or remove the rears.

dont have have the front amped and the rears not amped.

Don't do this. You need the rear speakers for fill.

Use the fader on your headunit to turn off the rear speakers - you'll see that you need them.

Put good speakers in the front and amp them and leave the rear standard (or low power aftermarket) and have them running off the head unit. After that, if you still want more you will need a sub

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
Don't do this. You need the rear speakers for fill.
Use the fader on your headunit to turn off the rear speakers - you'll see that you need them.
Put good speakers in the front and amp them and leave the rear standard (or low power aftermarket) and have them running off the head unit. After that, if you still want more you will need a sub

I've got stock subs which do the job in terms of bass for me, I'm just after more clarity from the speakers.

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I will amp the front and try and to find some 2ohm 2-ways for the rear that'll work off the headunit.
(unless there's a really good reason not to)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Damn near impossible to find 2ohm splits let alone components. Another reason to amp the rears.

You want more clarity?.... Amp the rears.