Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worth it or not?

xmasterVSx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS commodore
Now I'm not going write full on details I'm going to get straight to the point...

Brief rundown my engine idles bad on startup and when I stop at intersections it shakes a bit too so I was like asking around what it could be... Might be injectors or plugs etc Etc... Now I took it down the mechanics he did all the tests and said its the seals (valve stem seals) and said for the age of the car and how many Ks it's done it's not worth getting it fixed being its gonna cost me $1500 roughly to get it done so basically he was like you should get another car while you run this car into the ground

Now besides this issue my car runs almost perfect I was wondering if there is anyone who has a good step by step on how to fix and replace the seals or know a good mechanic in the northern suburbs of Melbourne that can do it for roughly $700? I love the car it's been pretty reliable

Any advice is awesome :)

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Any blue/grey exhaust smoke at start up? Pretty big call to say valve stem seals.

Have you monitered oil consumption?

What about clean your IAC valve and throttlebody?

Checked condition of your engine mounts?

xmasterVSx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS commodore
No smoke on startup but I haven't checked in over a couple of months for smoke after the oil change

And the IAC valve and throttle body I haven't checked before so maybe that might be it

Reason why the mechanic thought it was the stem seals is because I said after the car has warmed up and I start up the car again it idles better and he was that's because the seals have expanded when the engine is warm ... The rough idling is mainly in the mornings heading to work.

nzvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt hsv clubsport
Mine does xacty same thing

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
No smoke on startup but I haven't checked in over a couple of months for smoke after the oil change

And the IAC valve and throttle body I haven't checked before so maybe that might be it

Reason why the mechanic thought it was the stem seals is because I said after the car has warmed up and I start up the car again it idles better and he was that's because the seals have expanded when the engine is warm ... The rough idling is mainly in the mornings heading to work.

Coolant temp sensor

xmasterVSx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS commodore
.[/QUOTE]

Coolant temp sensor[/QUOTE] wrong thread? My temp is fine mate never goes past halfway but thanks for the irrelevant information :)

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
wrong thread? My temp is fine mate never goes past halfway but thanks for the irrelevant information :)

Your temp might be fine, but the temp sensor for the ECU (There is two sensors) might not be right and as a result will cause it run badly when cold.
So his information is not irrelevant.

xmasterVSx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS commodore
How do I test that? Is it under the error codes?

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Start with the Basics mate, Leads, Plugs, Oil, Air, Fuel Filters. Remove the throttle body, remove IAC, clean it all out. Then test again. As for the Temp sensor they are under $20 just replace it. Steam seals will just cause some blue smoke on start up, All my VR ever did and ran as smooth as it could lol

Heres a How to if you want - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/replace-ecotec-valve-seals.141301