Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would a dealer swap me ?

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
That's not the reason they didn't want to swap buddy. When I say run right I mean more economical.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Last year when I was looking at selling the VZ I had 4 uses car dealers point blank refuse to even look at it for a trade in, all of them citing very similar statenebts that "its a Commodore, their not selling well, I dont want to get stuck with it", and that was to trade it in for a VX SS, a VX Calais V8, a VY SS and another VX SS.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
before you do look at the big picture, the commodore might be more thirsty on fuel but everything else for it is cheap, I did the maths when commuting to sydney and it worked out the VR V6 I had running 15" tires at the time (8years ago) was cheaper to run over 100,000km than pretty much anything else

scott

DeadxPatriot

What now?
Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
Try to get them on a Wednesday arvo as that's their end of week regarding sales targets etc.

I jipped them 20k for my Lexus is300 had 200000ks and was a wreck. Dumped on its arse, cut springs etc.
They offered me 8k wholesaler price I said no and was about to leave they nego'd, I sat there til they offered me 20k. They needed one more sale.

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
With experience I've had, old 4 cylinders with over 200kms on the clock are nothing but trouble and start to drink close to 10l/100 anyway

calaiscruzer

I drink beer, and I vote!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Atlas Grey VN SS
calaisturbo is for swaps/trades..not car dealers

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
I'll throw something at you mate :

i've had the following cars :

+volvo 240 (****ng hated that car) - ran only on 95+ octane fuel, driving around adelaide it cost me $20 a week
got a fair amount of distance out of it for a l4 engine from 1983, and this was with air con going and everything.

+upgraded to a v6 VR commodore, it normally ran 91 octane and lpg..... I was averaging $10 petrol a week + $10 lpg a week
doing the same distance driving.

It was pretty much costing me about the same money.

When I worked at industrials the kid I worked with who is one of your typical v8 idiots (no offence intended to anyone on here, you know the type, wont drive anything unless its v8..... always has to tell everyone how crap their car is because its not a v8)

He drove a little further than me.... form home... under his license conditions he was only allowed to drive to and from work everyday.... his 2006 Senator cost him $70-100 a week on fuel and he drove like an idiot.

At the moment I have a couple of mates who are driving 4cycl cars and telling me to dump my 'gas guzzler' and get something more economical.... they drive around the same distances I do and put in anywhere from $20-40 a week.

I'm driving a Turbo 4cyl atm..... which I can only run on 98 octane.... to do the same distances im normally going through $20-30 a week on fuel.

A lot of it comes down to how you drive it and how you maintain the car.

When we hit the gfc.... a lot of idiots went oh crap I have a gas guzzler...... this is back when so many people drove ford's and commodores... normal people not us on the forums..... so they went and sold their massive gas guzzlers..... which happened to just be v6 holdens and fords.

Sold them and bought mazda 2's and toyota yaris's.

These are the same people bragging to me about their fuel economy..... and dont believe me when i show them my reciepts and distances I drive. They are also usually the same people who dont know how to change their oil or have the AC cranked up to max when its 28 degrees.

So if you do swap over to the darkside mate...... get your 4cyl running properly.

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
all good points guys, the car I had before my vs was a 1.8l ford laser. $50 to fill and got 650+km a tank, that's why I want to go back also never had a problem with it 437000 on the clock I owned it for a year and a half and nothing ever went wrong so I dunno ?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Just a reminder that it is against forum rules to advertise outside of the classified section.

Removed posts with offers etc.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
all good points guys, the car I had before my vs was a 1.8l ford laser. $50 to fill and got 650+km a tank, that's why I want to go back also never had a problem with it 437000 on the clock I owned it for a year and a half and nothing ever went wrong so I dunno ?
How long ago was that though? (Keep in mind $50 worth of fuel even just a few years ago isnt $50 worth of fuel today)
Also keep in mind a year and a half of trouble free ownership isnt that much, it could have been due for something big soon or had something big done before you had it. You never know. Some little cars can def give years of trouble free motoring (my mum also used to have a laser with 400+ on the clock and nothing but things like shocks etc had to get done to it). But as with any used car you're taking a gamble. At least your current car you know exactly what its running like and what needs doing to it etc.