Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

write off damage question

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all

Look not sure of correct place to post this but here goes.

I got a Mate who went and bought a vx SS 02 model a few months back. car looks mint exterior and interior but it was in a front end collision.

Seller was honest(to a degree) about it and mentioned it right up when he first spoke to him apparently.agreed to drop the price by 3k because of the stack. 90,000 Kms. Owner did not object to an racv check either at the time .

Seller told him that only the bumper and right guard were replaced at the the time but my mate recently purchased one of those vic roads package reports and it said there as damage to the following areas:

Driver front - heavy structural
Passenger front - heavy structural
Drivers side - light panel
Interior - heavy panel

Does that not mean that the bonnet an passenger guard were change too? If there was damage to the structure?

Also what does it mean light panel damage on drivers side - what exactly defines light panel damage?

Also what dosent add up is it says interior heavy panel damage but he said all that was replaced was 2 front air bags. From what I could see myself, the entire interior seems to look the same as in - aged condition, chairs, trim and dash all look a little used, no part seems strangely new or anything. Yet it says - heavy panel damage ? Not adding up here.

Any thoughts are appreciated, cheers

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Only thoughts are.... If it don't add up then dig further until all the pieces do add up, otherwise cut your losses and scrap the heap of ****.

Good luck.....

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
For me when it says
Driver front - heavy structural
Passenger front - heavy structural
I too would get rid of it.. Has it been a cut n shut job and why didnt the racv check pick that up?
I know you can get money from the racv if stuff shits it self with in a time frame and they didnt pick it up..

How heavy is heavy structual damage??

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Or it could have been marked up by the assessor to up the cost to the repairer, not that I have ever seen any price inflation in my time :)

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Or it could have been marked up by the assessor to up the cost to the repairer, not that I have ever seen any price inflation in my time :)

As soon as repairers see 'insurance' on the paperwork, they add on ######## tax don't they? ;)

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
when they say "heavy panel damage" so they mean its been repaired? .

That's what we're trying to find out. It has been repared properly not a cut and shut job either. But what exactly does heavy panel in the interior mean when all the panels look existing and intact ??

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Or it could have been marked up by the assessor to up the cost to the repairer

But we he got the report from Vic roads tho.. I thought they are the ones who give the terms 'heavy panel damage' to the car?? Are you saying that info comes from the insurance company then entered onto Vic roads register??

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If it has been written off by an insurance company due to cost, but listed as a repairable write off, it should appear on the written off register as such.
For it to have been re-registered the car has to be inspected by an authorised inspector and a VIV (Vehicle Identity Validation) certificate issued.
They check all repairs have been carried out properly. Unfortuately if it has been listed as a repairable write off it will remain on the register and probably effect future resale value. The information on the Vicroads site is now limited as all the details re encumbrance and written of status are on a new national Goverment data base called the PPSR (Personal Property Securities Register) and there is a small fee to obtain the info. It may be the same info you got from Vicroads as the change to the new data base has just recently happened. Link below to the new register.

Personal Property Securities Register

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
What would classify as "light panel damage" on a door?

Any panel beaters welcome to answer