Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Write off or not?

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive SII - 91' - VX Executive SII - 02'
So basically the other day my Car came into some trouble. It's a V6 VN 91 SII Executive. So there's nothing flashy about it.
Tie Rod end cracked/come undone (The mechanic said) somehow and basically tore up all my bushes and control arms in-front and destroyed the tread on my brand new Tyres.
I just finished replacing every inch of the suspension a few weeks beforehand so I'm up for replacing everything I've already done. Mechanic said I'll be looking at about $200 for Labour and $800 for parts excluding the Tyres. Look online tonight and it seems about right in the price range. As the Engine and the rest of the Underneath have had about 3.5k-4k spent on it I'm wondering whether to repair or call it off. The Body has dents from being kicked in and the paint is showing rust so it's not too pretty.
So basically the real question is, write it off or not? I can't drive it as it's all seized up under the Shocks. Up for a new fuel Tank as is.
I'm fairly attached to it as it's my first car and it took me 7 months to get it on the road between work, so I can't see whether or not it's done for or not clearly.
Thinking of going for a VR/VS Calais if it's a goner (Preferably a VR as the Engine and the Gearbox are the same so I'll just use my VN for scraps.)
(Getting a loan for a new Car).

Opinions?

Also the 3.5k-4k spent on it was due to the Car being a complete lemon. Barely any mods made. Car has 264k on the clock.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sounds like time to move on.
VR series II berlina is a choice pick for me.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I'd move on too mate.. If you spend another truck load I cash on it and it gets in a crash you won't even get 1/4 what you spent on it back.. Strip it for what you need and sell the rest off

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Get a VR Calais Series II or a Berlina Wagon Series II (if you want a wagon with all the features, similar to a Calais)
Then use your VN for spare parts

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yeah execs don't retain much value so I wouldn't spend too much on it. Vr auto's are different to vn auto's. So you may aswell sell it. But luckily you have a series 2 vn. The engines are pretty well the same as a vr's unlike the series 1 engine.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ended up buying a VX SII Exc with 150k's for 5k on road. Now to part with the VN :(.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Ended up buying a VX SII Exc with 150k's for 5k on road. Now to part with the VN :(.

and just like that another vn vp member leaves us.... :cry:

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
What is the plans for the vn mate.. Part it out or sell to the wreckers?

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gonna try and sell it whole, if that doesn't work I'll go for parts. I wanna try and give someone else a shot at restoring it as I'd love to see it around town. Been offered 1.2k for it without Rims. Repaired what I could, left with $550 damage. I just don't have the funds now with the VX. Shocks and such ended up being fine, just the Tyres, Tie Rods and Control arms/Bushes are busted.

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
how much can that stuff really cost at a good wreckers? if it were me i'd consider trying to fix it myself, i've been youtubing up how to change shocks over the last few days, and have just an hour ago finished changing the tie rod/tension rod bushes and it looks time consuming but really doesn't seem that hard.

If it were me, i'd try fixing it myself, but then again i love my vn like a son :)