Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wtf?

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Just turned into my driveway and as the front left wheel went over the curb I here this massive rattling/grinding sound, I went up and down a few times and I can't pinpoint what it is, could it be a buggered strut? Suspension seems fine. Sounds quite familiar to when the castor rubbers went in my skyline.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
I know exactly what that is, i had the same problem turning full lock onto a curb, sounds like metal grinding, you can reverse and go up and down with the wheels locked and hear it over and over. its the Strut mount on the side that's grinding. They are common to go after 40 - 50 thousand k's. They collapse

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
The strut bearing rubs against the chassis giving you the grind sound as the mount has collapsed and is off center.
j94wgi.jpg

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Great just what I need more money to fork out, just paid the rego on it literally today, needs four new tyres, new pads and new front left rotor and sounds like the rear right bearing has gone to. Never cut a break. You can hear it when you go over speed humps and large bumps in the road I thought it was the ute beside me with crap bouncing around in his tray, so I've got no idea how long it has been going on for as I can't feel anything inside the car.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
give u the shits cars

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Tell me bout it, I've had nothing but dramas with cars so I thought I would buy a new one, didnt miss a beat until the warranty ran out,virtually a day after I started having issues, go figure.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If you service the cars on schedule and don't thrash the crap out of them, you shouldn't have many issues apart from the old parts that do wear out after 100,000k's+.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Tell me bout it, I've had nothing but dramas with cars so I thought I would buy a new one, didnt miss a beat until the warranty ran out,virtually a day after I started having issues, go figure.
That's the way it goes feel sorry for you been in the same boat before but at least it's not a $$$$ rebuild or something. It's these bloody Gold Coast roads i swear that kills our cars thanks the tram system and roadworks.:censored:

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Yeah exactly, thought out rego was to go towards road maintanence, wonder where it's going on Gold Coast, worse roads I've driven on in the entire country, for road driving that is.