Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XBOX 360 freezing up mid-game

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Hey guys,

I've tried posting on other forums that I'm associated with but no one has been able to help me. Anyway, straight to the point. As the title suggests, my 360 either either freezes up the screen mid-game or just dies to a black screen.

People have been telling me to watch for red lights on the 360 but I haven't seen it on my unit. I do find however, that the drive is thrashing hard to read the game. Possible dirty drive maybe???? Or overheating???? :supersad:

Do I have to do the inevitable and send it back to Microsoft? :hit:

Any thoughts?

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
mine used to do that. Its a cooling issue. Xbox 360s run really hot. The new black 360s have a different chip in them so they're not so bad, but the white ones do have this issue.

Go to JB HIFI and pick yourself up one of those fan things that sit on the back of the xbox. it has 3 fans in it and extracts air out the back. works really well but its quite noisey.

also, make sure your power source isn't on a double adaptor or power board. it seems to like its own powerpoint.

AND make sure there isn't stuff all over the power box, it needs ventilation or it'll get hot and freeze up your xbox as well.

dont bother talking to microsoft. I called them once about something to do with my xbox. i thought it'd be a free call coz it was a 1800 number, but because i was calling from my mobile i got stung about $50 for the call coz it took AAAAGES and i had to explain the problem about 10 times and they still didn't help. i found the solution on the net in about 10 minutes.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Hmmm fair enough. Well, last night, I decided to give the general are a good clean up. I relocated the power supply to a much more ventilated area and tried it again. Still ceased up. I have read that the power supply may need it's own powerpoint. It's on a powerboard. What I find strange is that if it needed it's own powerboard because of lack of power supply, then it should have played up the first time i used it; not a few months down the track.

Do you know the actual make/model of that external fan unit? I want the genuine goods not the crap cheap as chips crap that some people are flogging off on eBay................

Doesn't it piss you off that MS has decided to release the Elite model???? After shelling out for the original 360??? Bloody Microsoft.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
check out http://forums.xbox-scene.com

Cheers
MaT

P.S- It's not exactly a cooling issue, On the first batch of 360 boards before the 360Elite thats due out soon in Australia, The board warp from heat after time causing the GPU&CPU Solders to come unstuck, Kind of like a Crank Angle Sensor, Heats up.. Dies.. Cold.. Starts...

Theres a few fixes, check the forums I told you to go to..

Cheers
MaT

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
The new black 360s have a different chip in them so they're not so bad, but the white ones do have this issue.

Wrong.. The 65nm Chip isn't on the Elite 360's... The only difference that the Elite has to the Regular 360 is that the 4 corners of the CPU & GPU are epoxied in a cheap attempt to prevent warping & Chip popping/movement..

Cheers
MaT

360elite%20048.jpg
360elite%20053.jpg

In the following image you can see, the board hasn't been changed much, The only attempt to stop board warping around the Processors is the Epoxy on the CPU & GPU
360eliteanimated.gif
\

Most of the board changes were only for the HDMI output...

P.S- 70% Of the Elites currently purchased and noted do not contain the BenQ DVD Drive, So All 360's Still pretty much sound like leaf blowers. Although on the BenQ Drive you cannot modify the firmware so the ability to play Backup games is unavailable.

CHeers
MaT

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I did try Gears of War and played that for a while..............the drive sounded like it was dirty but it didnt freeze. It did, however, freeze on NBA 2K7. So yeah, it was NBA 2K7.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
I did try Gears of War and played that for a while..............the drive sounded like it was dirty but it didnt freeze. It did, however, freeze on NBA 2K7. So yeah, it was NBA 2K7.

Hmm i was nearly going to say was it smackdown Vs raw :)
people say it doesn't matter how you have it sitting..I.E horizontal or vertical, IMO i think it does,how have you got yours?

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I've always had it standing vertically. I believe it dissipates more air this way. I'm just thinking the drive maybe dirty...................coz the sound that comes from the DVD drive when it loads up the game...................christ, could wake the dead...........