Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Xbox Dead

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Went to play need for speed high stakes 2 on the Xbax last night and the bloody light did not even turn on....so checked when I bought it....of cause 12.5 months ago....so emailed the manufacturer....no reply.....phoned them...see how much that costs when the bill comes in......"sorry sir the machine is out of w'tee".

NOT HAPPY JAN...now I pulled the bloody thing apart..checked the fuse...no glory.... BIG P.O.S.!~!!!

Question has anyone ever changed the power supply to a PC's power supply cause I'm NOT paying someone $100 for a $300 Xbox just to tell me the powersupply is stuffed which I already think is wrong, problem is that I don't have a spare Xbox power supply but have a few PC ones lying around.

Just to let you know, if no-one helps me with this I have lots of stories to tell, yep just like gandpa, and I'm not afraid to use them. Otherwise I have to go back to the PS1 and play Finding numbers with Elmo. God PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

If I dont blow myself right up and the xbox to boot then I'll let you know how I go.

Kind Regards GUY.

J

Jaime S.

**** that scares me!

I've had an XBOX for 10 months and nothing wrong, except sometimes when the DVD plays I get an idle roaring grunting which gives me the shits.

Be careful using a PC power supply. It could short the system and that will kill the actual machine INSTANTLY. See if you could find an XBOX power supply cable at Target or Big W. Or even Electronic Boutique. EB's would most likely have 'em.

But dont call XBOX Customer Assistance, Microsoft doesn't give a **** about anybody, that's why they invented "The Blue Screen of Death".

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
guy,

i do like yoru idea, but it wont work

the problem you will come across is that most people thing that it's all a 230v system in all electrical equipment, but that's not the case, almost everything you use now day's will rectify or convert it from ac to a dc voltage, current and wattage
(no im not saying you didnt think of that either)

the likely hood of the powersupply's matching is extreamly slim, and if they do match, i dont see how you can make them fit in the xbox. anyway, you would alway's give it ago, after all, it is busted.

just on a quick note, have you checked the power button? is it fine, or is it busted, use a ohm meter to check the switching, make sure it's not jamed closed. in the off possition you should have infanate resistance, in the open possition, you should have no resistance, (or aound the .001 ohm mark)

hope this will help you

cheers
garth

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, but I did try the power leads, then pulled the bloody thing apart, it is amazing how close it looks to the inside of a computer the main difference I found was the power lead going to the DVD drive. What really pisses me off is that I had the fastest DVD and the better HDD in the bloody thing that they came out with, so I found out. As for fitting the PC power supply in it well....a hammer might help.

Nah, might just sell it on ebay (someone else is with the same problem, last I looked it was going for $90). So anyone want to buy a couple of controllers, a couple of steering wheels (which I bought the day it **** itself, so they are brand new) and a whole heap of games and extra cables?

Might look at a Sony Playstation 2 as the old PS1 is about 5 years old and still running. Even with the kids dropping it a couple of times.

Oh and microsofty jam it up ya ...... at I think $5.95 a minute (don't quote me) I don't think you will get another call from me.....Does anyone have Linix (or what ever) to load on this POS computer as 98SE is a POS TOO! Mind you the computer could be the problem.

Um hold that thought on the gear....just seen an ad for a Mega Deal on the Xbox might sell the Jackaroo instead and get a new Xbox. Anyone want a Holden (Isuzu) Jackaroo POS, it still runs but theres not much left of the body and chassis...serious! Give it to you for the price of a mega Deal Xbox, I think about $400. Anyone want to put 4wd into your Commodore???? Would be fun to see!

Anyway I'm really board so as I said last night.......

Once upon a time when I was about 17 I had an old SS HQ and......

Nah not that board .....YET!!!!!!! Well I'm off to play 'finding numbers with Elmo' See-ya Kind regards GUY.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
dude, ill swap ya, ill play your "finding numbers with elmo" and you can come and play "blues clues computer game" help blue the dog find his missing bone, or even better, you could alway's sit down with my daughter and listen to the 19 hour's of wiggles video tapes she has got. and well, you guessed it, that bloody big red car feature on about 7 of those tapes, not to mention, that frigin dinasour, dorratly.

im hearing you with the old playstation though, i got my playstation from signapore about 6 year's ago, and i tell ya, that has been dropped, kicked thrown, bashed, washed, cooked, painted, thown up on, and even chewed, and it's still going, i mean, it's far from the nicest looking playstation1 on the planet, but hey, i can still play collin mcray rally, so that's realy all that matter's to me, (you would think after playing that game for about 4 year's idd have the ****'s with it, nah, love it to much)

cheers

from the house of wiggles and hi five

garth

p.s. as for the jackaroo, my folks have a jackaroo, same model i feel, the body is fine, but the bloody motor is missing, someone stole the motor out of it, how weired is that. it's a 84, got that stupid isuzu motor in it.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out a good point to the blown up Xbox..... The bloody kids can't watch their god dam DVD's anymore....mind you lucky their over the wiggles, the nine year old thinks they are ****, but he does like the bloody Croc Hunter!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not sure what is worse! LOL.

As for the jackaroo its the gemini petrol motor......I think the body was made out of a gemini too because theres not much left of it.

See Ya GUY.

P.S I was serious about the POS 4WD.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
An Xbox is just a computer in a smaller case, so a computers power supply should work fine, after all its powering the same setup, just in a smaller case.

If you havernt the balls to try, send it to me, I have the balls, to try. I bet I could get it working again, nothing computer related has beatern me yet and I intend to never let it

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
It just broke? Geez!! haha, When I went to the local 'chipper' he swore by them saying that he's never seen one broken. And that he's even seen one take a fall from about 2m up, onto concrete and still work.. Mind you this guy got his rocks off over them. Resident 40 year old geek

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Yep kids where playing it one day and the next time I went to play it...**** ALL HAPPENED...no light, no fan nothing....tell the fool to check out Ebay under XBOX. There is usualy one in there every second week that is either pulled apart or R/S.

Anyway thats my gripe and since I have 15 games etc I'm saving up for a new one....although the new PS3 should be out soon.....see what happens.

LOL......Guy.

sowdy

Reaction score
Howdy,

Here's what you do.

Grab enough cash, head down to Big W, Target or some other BIG shop.

Buy a new XBOX.

Return to the shop on a SATURDAY morning to return the XBOX, tell them it's faulty and it doesn't work.

99.99% of the time they will simply refund your money straight up, I say do this on a Saturday morning because it is usually thier busiest day, hence they won't **** you round much.

Done it with a TV I bought at Big W, worked a treat!

Cheers,
Dave.