Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You will want to read this

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
In June 1941, the Nazis surprised the Soviets by launching Operation Barbarossa, Hitler’s secret plan to defeat and capture the Soviet Union. The mighty Soviet T-34 tank had just begun production, however, and the advancing Wehrmacht forces threatened all the factories where the Russian tank was being produced. A decision was made: The T-34 factories would be dismantled, put on trains, and reassembled in the Ural Mountains, hundreds of miles east of Moscow, far enough away from the advancing Panzer divisions. The human cost of such a massive undertaking was particularly brutal even by Stalin-era Soviet standards, but the results cannot be denied. The superior T-34 eventually mopped the Eastern Front with the outclassed Panzer IVs, helping to achieve Allied victory in World War II.

Why the history lesson?
Take the time to read the best review ever, the first of the last.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's interesting that some Americans love our cars but GM doesn't.......

2016 Chevy SS review

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'll answer the below question for him, most Aussie's don't know what they've got 'till it's gone.

And it’s all going away. Forever. Gone. Bye-bye. The best is no more. I’m no bean counter, so I suppose I’ll never truly, ecstatically understand how or why shuttering the factory where the best sport sedan in the world is built makes good financial sense. I should add, too, that I’m not all that interested in the answer. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons makes no damn sense to me. If you think I’m heartbroken, just think about how terrible all 23 million Australians feel, especially because their country is losing the HSV variants, such as the 644-horsepower HSV GTSR W1. Yes, there will still be Holdens. They will just be made elsewhere (though not in Germany because GM just sold Opel). But the Commodore and all of its wonderful variants? About to be broomed, binned, and hoovered. As such, I stand by my earlier point: pack up the factory and move it. The world deserves cars like the Chevrolet SS.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Every motoring journalist from either the US or UK I've seen has high praise for our cars.

Jethro loving the VXR8.
"Over long distances there is no better car, it really is superb"
"It doesn't get boring, it somehow always puts a smile on your face"
"Fun for every situation. These days that is just so rare"

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I still remember how much Clarkson loved driving HSV's and Monaro's - always made me smile.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
TBH, I think it's quiet simple (and it's only going to get worse with Trump in power) that GM can't stand the fact that someone other than an American can design/build a large RWD sedan better than them. If it's not made in America then it's not for Americans! Americans still live in a world of protectionism....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Given the patriotism that is displayed on this forum, would the people that claim not to be interested in any other offering coz it's not made in Oz still buy VF or its similar successor if the plant was moved to say Korea ?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
That's a good question VS, I would certainly consider buying it if the Aus designers were involved.
There has been a lot of chest beating about not buying anything because it's not Australian, but let's be honest, those people perhaps have only just started buying new cars and may not realise that they will want to upgrade in the future to something else that is new and from another manufacturer.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Redline and am already trying to work out how I can keep it when my lease expires in 2019, but unless you are rolling in cash and have plenty of room, it's just not practice for most people.
I will be considering offerings from Kia, Skoda, VW and even Hyundai in years to come, and I think it is very narrow minded to dismiss these brands based on so called patriotism, or even the fact that the drive configuration is different. It's like I tell my kids, how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it.