Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts about the Nissan GTR's R32/33

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
off topic, but does anyone know why 34's are banned in the U.S?

Sorry for the tangent

I think it's because they're fast cars, that's what I've heard and read anyways. They'll be legal in a few years though as I think they're allowed to import cars 25 years and older.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
off topic, but does anyone know why 34's are banned in the U.S?

Sorry for the tangent

Because the people importing skylines were doing dodgy compliancing so the governments response was just to ban the whole lot. Even the owners of the dodgy compliance cars got them taken off them and crushed.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I think it's because they're fast cars, that's what I've heard and read anyways. They'll be legal in a few years though as I think they're allowed to import cars 25 years and older.

^^^ that's true there's a new 25 year old car revision. I read it up on speedhunters or stancenation earlier in the year

And yes Ari666 I saw a New Zealand major crash type show which said R33 GTRs were banned for import as the front crumple zone doesn't met standards. Thought it was weird but I no nothing about NZ standards

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The guys talking about V8s in a thread called "GTR vs GTR" has brought aids to this thread.

Yes it's a Commodore forum but read the topic. Know one cares about V8s here so drop it and a moderator should delete the post as their off topic.

So back to skylines ay? Let's talk 4WD AWS Hicas RB25s?

I'm under the belief that R33s GTRs are very rare. Saw a NZ police show and they said the car was banned from export in the 90s as they didn't met standards. Something about the front crumple zone??? Anyone know? The one they were investergating was molested tho it had a RB20 illegal fitted

Basically any car that is pre-96 will not meet frontal impact requirements for NZ and can't be imported, not just the GTR. There are other rules on classics etc that I don't know but that is the jist of it.

Cars that are already here and registered are OK tho

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
My mate had a 33 GTR.. had a N1 block in it plus a crap load of other stuff.. ended up giving me the turbo's off it when he upgraded them... got stolen from a machanic's shop...

1936913_116849898988_986240_n.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Basically any car that is pre-96 will not meet frontal impact requirements for NZ and can't be imported, not just the GTR. There are other rules on classics etc that I don't know but that is the jist of it.

Cars that are already here and registered are OK tho

hmmmm thats a perculiar ruling... something to do with airbags? i had never heard that. its weird that they pass JIS, ADR, E etc, but nz? nope. not good enough.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Basically any car that is pre-96 will not meet frontal impact requirements for NZ and can't be imported, not just the GTR.

That's interesting to know. I knew NZ had some really cool laws in the way of modification etc but then was confused on how they can pass some mods but not approve importing of certain cars.

It's a shame that GTR was stolen it looks clean in that pic