Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You're going to hate me for this but.. What mod next?!?!

menace2sobriety

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY soon to be boosted
A couple of things that I have found is that Exhaust - will give you noise and some extra power throughout ( maybe some drone around 2000rpm depending on the system ), Rockers - some mid-top end OOMPH ( the VY ECOTEC V6's aren't really happy HI revvers though ), LSD and Gears - off the line PEP and some squat, acceleration will be improved - probably the best bang for buck you could do, eg you could loose about a second off your quarter mile times with decent diff gears but maybe a few poofteenths off with all the others, a tuned PCM from MACE will make it more of a daily pleasure to drive with more responsive power throughout and quicker gear changes - do the other mods before this unless you have an OBD1 cable and the software to modify and re-flash the VY bin files, also the inlet and plenum insulators are not too bad for the price, better down low torque and response, but it all depends on what you are after a racer or something with looks, if you are after a racer why don't you keep it as a daily driver and put that coin towards something with potential or just chuck some boost down its throat, if you are after something that looks pretty just slam it on some mags and add some visual luxuries

IMO since you seem set on spending money is Finish the Exhaust, ADD some Rockers and fit an LSD with new gears to suit - ALL AT THE SAME TIME, that way it will give you the feeling of money well spent :beer chug:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Exhaust is a good bang for buck, but the down side is that you will put your boot into it more to make more noise, thus using a shitload more fuel.

Having said that, I can send you a set of Wildcat extractors that fit straight up with no welding for $385. Leave the factory cat, as a high flow will only make more noise. If you want to spend the extra $100 or so on Pacemakers, will you get an EXTRA $100 worth of performance out of them...

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
Exhaust is a good bang for buck, but the down side is that you will put your boot into it more to make more noise, thus using a shitload more fuel.

Having said that, I can send you a set of Wildcat extractors that fit straight up with no welding for $385. Leave the factory cat, as a high flow will only make more noise. If you want to spend the extra $100 or so on Pacemakers, will you get an EXTRA $100 worth of performance out of them...

I currently have a Cat Back and to be honest i think the noise turns me off putting the foot down! My fuel economy has been so much better since!
I am pretty set on the Pacemakers i read into other extractors and everyone seems to really rate Pacemakers.

Thanks

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I am thinking i will go the with Exhaust and Rockers... And gears too..
Excuse my ignorance but what is the biggest upgrade with LSD? isn't only a benfit if my wheels are spinning?

LSD will give you heaps better traction off the line than a standard diff. No point doing mods if it's just gonna give you wheel spin off when you floor it from a rest

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
To be honest i can't see my wheels spinning off the line because i have no intention of dragging :p. I just enjoy the nice delivery of power!
LSD would be handy up hills in the wet though! Jeez!

I think ill go full exhaust, High ratio rockers and Gears for now with a tune if in budget.. LSD will be next ^.^

@menance the inlet and plenum insulators look good too but just don't seem worth it right now

menace2sobriety

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY soon to be boosted
If your just going for driving experience and not setting it up for dragging or power, just get a shift kit and tune and leave it at that

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you don't want to spend the $150 or so on the spacers, why spend that much extra for no additional gain on Pacemakers over any other brand? You are talking bang for buck, Pacemakers aren't good value when you are comparing $$$ spent against any gain.

On a street car, all extractors will do pretty much the same thing. Pacemakers will give you maybe 0.3-0.5 secs on the drag strip, but on a street car, I would bet money on the fact you wouldn't be able to tell what brand of extractors you had if you didn't know. Fit 5 different brands on the same car and tell me which perform better, I bet you can't. You will be able to on a dedicated strip car, but not a street car.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
If you don't want to spend the $150 or so on the spacers, why spend that much extra for no additional gain on Pacemakers over any other brand? You are talking bang for buck, Pacemakers aren't good value when you are comparing $$$ spent against any gain.

On a street car, all extractors will do pretty much the same thing. Pacemakers will give you maybe 0.3-0.5 secs on the drag strip, but on a street car, I would bet money on the fact you wouldn't be able to tell what brand of extractors you had if you didn't know. Fit 5 different brands on the same car and tell me which perform better, I bet you can't. You will be able to on a dedicated strip car, but not a street car.

Touche Fair enough aha... I will look into the spacers aswell. just have my heart on a full system.

Thanks for all the input guys has been a great thread :)